Web development

Site is nice. So far it's dawned on me that I actually took a basic html class in college and it is coming back pretty quickly. I'm hoping to be able to move along quickly and see where I get. Thanks!

Good luck!

Once you have the basics of HTML then your good to go and can make websites however to make very good looking websites with great UIs and functionality gets more complicated.

I personally find the best way to learn is to look at snippets of other peoples code and pinch bits here and there and stick them together.

XHTML was meant to be the new HTML, but it never really took off - and with HTML5 taking off as it has, I can't really see it lasting. There was an XHTML5 in development last time I checked, but nothing much has come of it.

Regardless, there's not much different in it - it's just a case of all the tags having to be well formed to the XML standard rather than SGML.

I know this thread is old but I feel like there's an update I need to add. I haven't made much progress on the coding until very recently. It was much harder to do on my iPad than I thought it was going to be because of the layout of the on-screen keyboard and my blue-tooth keyboard was much better. However I recently aquired a Dell D620 laptop and that will likely be the ticket that I need to further pursue learning to code. Currently I'm using the site codeacademy.com and it's wonderful. I'm blazing through the basic HTML courses and am getting into some more in-depth stuff. If I ever get around to making/hosting a site I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Yeah coding on an iPad was never going to be a great way to go about it.

Have a browse on W3Schools Online Web Tutorials awesome website with some nice try it yourself areas!

HTML is very simple.
HTML5 has a few more features but is still very user friendly.
CSS3 is probably a step up and a tad more complicated but again you should be able to pick it up.

From there, where you go is your choice.

JavaScript is huge in the web development world, so is the likes of PHP and .net.

I'm biased towards .net as i'm a .net developer, I know many of people that hate it but it's definitely a solid language to learn either C# or VB, and asp.net.

Ya, this site isn't as advanced or in-depth as the W3School site (I looked at that too). For now I'll finish all the HTML and CSS on codeacademy and then their next lessons are jquery and javascript. I'll do those, but that will be about all I want to do on codeacademy so then I'll probalby jump over to W3School.

The problem with CSS3 is not all browsers support it. IE10 supports a small part of the over all power CSS3 has. Same for the webkit and Mozilla based browsers. But as main stream browsers push out updates hopefully they'll add more of the features.
I wish they'd hurry up though. I want to use some of the features of CSS3 on my website.

Back
Top Bottom