Disk check?

Myron1

Baseband Member
Every week or so, my Acer laptop, when turning power-on, goes to a dark screen informing me that 1 of my disks need to be checked for consistency. I am puzzled as I have used other PCs and I never heard of this before. The PC does this check but it is very annoying as I cannot go on-line for at least 10 minutes. Do other PCs do this? Does it mean something is wrong? Is it a good thing? Is it similar to disk corruption?

I had the same problem with my like 10-years old PC, I've never really fixed it... But try to Defrag you disk and maybe a Disk Cleanup would be good for it too.

Thanks for your suggestions. I did not drop the laptop. Its age is less than 3-years old and I only use it for about 2 hours daily. Could the problem be that I have been synching/backing-up my iPhone and storing the phones photos? It seemed to have started around then. I do a regular defrag every week. I am afraid that a disc clean-up would delete all my photos. Is that the case? What does the disc clean-up delete? My old PC had corrupted discs and I lost all my stored information, including my photos.

That can happen when the power isn't turned off properly. Like if the battery dies or if it gets unplugged.

Or when a external device is unplugged with out ejecting it first. Usually makes a mess on both sides of the USB plug.

Or when a external device is unplugged with out ejecting it first. Usually makes a mess on both sides of the USB plug.

I NEVER eject my USB thumb drives. I've never had any problem with them. I've been using them to store word/excel/powerpoint files and transfer other files, and even run Antivirus setups off of them since I was in college and haven't had any issues.

:hide: of course the next one I use will cause me problems now :hide:

Back
Top Bottom