Arrow keys not working when trying to select a different boot option.

Phillio1995

Beta member
TL;dr is the title :)

After gathering that my graphics card had died after many years of use, I decided to get a GTX 660 OC as an upgrade, hopefully here tomorrow. The problem I am having is that I cannot get from "Repair System Files" to "Start Windows Normally", due to the computer deciding it would be funny to switch to the former option despite not ever having had the arrow keys work in this menu, therefore not being able to boot Windows 7 up at all.

Anyone know how to get the arrow keys to work, it has irritated me quite a bit as I know it will be stuck like that even though I replace the gfx card. Not a problem with the keyboard as the arrow keys work in the BIOS menu.

Thanks for your time,
phillio1995.

Quickest suggestion I have is to try another keyboard (borrow one or if you have an extra laying around).

Is there a shortcut key you could use? Like how you can press Alt and then the underlined letter (I don't know if this menu has that feature on not).

It could be the keyboard then? I thought it wouldnt due to the arrow keys working elsewhere such as in BIOS.

I have seen the alternative options for keys. I'll try that now ;)

EDIT: Alt keys don't work. Keyboard lights up but nothing happens when I try. Any ideas?

Last edited:
It could be the keyboard then? I thought it wouldnt due to the arrow keys working elsewhere such as in BIOS.

The keyword there is "could". I've seen where a USB keyboard works in the BIOS but then won't work on the windows login screen until Window's loads the drivers for it. Could take about 30-45 seconds (give or take).

I just suggested a replacement keyboard because that would be the quickest thing to check first. Also, are there letters underlined in the text indicating that the 'alt' key should work? If so then I'm leaning more even more on trying a new keyboard - just to rule that out.

I don't have a replacement keyboard but my dad does. I'll get him to bring his round but that is not going to happen until 6pm tomorrow. Anything else I could try in the meantime or is it not worth trying for now? Thanks for the help.

Are there any settings in the BIOS that you could adjust as to what the computer does after a power loss or something similar (and then just unplug the power while it's on to simulate a power loss). Maybe you could change something in there so that it starts like it's supposed to?

Not sure. Hardly ever looked around the BIOS let alone changed anything. I'll have a look around and see if there is, though.

EDIT: Changed BIOS keyboard settings to legacy drivers, now the arrows work. Windows doesn't want to start though but judging by the artifacts on the screen I don't blame it.

Cheers for the help, haven't gotten the arrows to work even before this happened :)

Again, thanks.

phillio1995

Last edited:
Are there any settings in the BIOS that you could adjust as to what the computer does after a power loss or something similar (and then just unplug the power while it's on to simulate a power loss). Maybe you could change something in there so that it starts like it's supposed to?

In a power loss you want the system to stay off. Reason being if the power stutters your hard drive is going to be a royal mess.

Back
Top Bottom