Graphics card or power supply ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
Got a desktop gaming rig that just cut out (hard powered off) while playing a game.

I have narrowed it down to either the graphics card GTX570 or the PSU XpowerPRO 950W

When i used a cheap pcie card the system boots fine and works.

When i use the 570 the machine does not even turn on (no lights, no fan, dead)

Now could this be that the power supply is no longer giving out the required wattage to power the card (2xpci 6 pins) or could it be that the card itself is defected.

When you run it without the 2 x 6pin power connectors on the graphics card the system starts but get nothing on screen. But I do get power. Its only when I have put both 6 pin power connectors to the graphics that the system dont power on any more.

Both are expensive parts so what sounds more likely the card or PSU ?

Swap vid card with one like it. Comes on, card bad. Stop.
Doesn't come on. If PSU modular swap leads to vid card. If comes on, stop. if not proceed to next step.
Swap PSU. Come on, stop. Replace vid card with one in it to start with.
If starts issue is with PSU. If not confirms first card indeed bad.

I have not got a PSU that has the two x6 connectors. Will have to pick one up and test your theory. Thanks for the reply :)

Can you ?

I guess I would have to short the second psu on ?

I have ordered a 2x molex to 6 pin adapter so I can use the 430w psu I have.

I wouldn't do that. You're trying to find out if the card or the psu is bad. A secondary psu may give you misleading results.

The card recommends a psu of 550w I have a 430w that I'm going to use. Will dissconect everything I don't need beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom