Upgradeing my Hard Drive

Kurg Burg

Beta member
I've wanted to upgrade my Hard Drive for a while now its a
Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-DiamondMax-STM3500418AS-Internal-Hot-Swappable/dp/B002D2WI2Q

I've had this drive for quite a while and was my first choice when i decided to build a rig of my own quite a few years ago and this time round recently I've carried it across onto my newly built system and didn't bother upgrading it.

Recently over the last week or so my system has had trouble shutting and after left for a long period of time still won't so then i have to manually restart it so I'm wondering if it has something to do with this Hard Drive.

This Drive is only used for my OS and some other stuff and I'm looking towards an SSD upgrade but faced with the problem of which one to choose and what would be the best way about upgrading it.

Could i get a programme that will copy my existing old drive onto the new SSD? or would a clean installation be better?

Many Thanks Harry.

A clean installation is always better, especially since you seem to be having issues. Ghosting over the contents of your old drive onto your new drive may not be ideal since you may be ghosting over the same issues to your new drive.

Do a clean install on a SSD and keep your old drive for storage. There's a significant improvement in performance when your OS and main programs are on a SSD.

A lot of here recommend a clean install of your OS in a situation like this or just be lazy and clone the drive. SSD drive's are good, You'd be looking to get a 256GB one so you have room for your OS, Applications and files. If you bought an SSD drive and put the OS on there you would notice the OS loads a bit faster.

Back
Top Bottom