Wow! What's going on?

ProDrawerCom

Solid State Member
I just clicked on some email addresses that were embedded in email. They were addresses of people my contractor sent me to use as references. All three individuals had different email domains (if that's the correct term). It's not like they were all Gmail. In each case, clicking on the links opened my Google browser rather than my email program. A few days ago I installed a new router and signed up with OpenDNS. I can't imagine that either of those two things would be the culprit. Any help would be appreciated.

Exactly what address do they take you to?

Thanks for responding.

The first email address I click on, takes me to Google, the primary search page as I call it. The second email address I click on (without closing Google), takes me to the secondary google page. This is the way Google always works for me. I have three monitors, and, if I click on a second instance of Google-- it takes me to (what I call) a secondary Google page.

So the three email addresses that were mailed to me act as Google icons! Very strange! Never had this problem. But then-- this is a computer. :)

I think maybe I just figured it out. I copy and pasted the links to NotePad. They appear in NotePad as mailto: x @ gmail. com. To me-- that looks like HTML syntax. So maybe the sender copied the addresses from a website, and maybe the HTML syntax triggers Google. Does that sound logical?

Make sure that it is in fact set as the default. Also, see what happens if you click on known good email links.

Having the "mailto:" simply tells the computer to open your default mail program. In this case, my best guess, is that the email client got changed to GMail as default. Since the computer isn't saved with a GMail account, then it's likely that it's defaulting back to Google because it can't login to GMail.

In Win7 go to Start and in the search bar type default and Default Programs should popup. Pick it and verify what the default mail client is.

(I was going to type all this the other day but I was on my iPad and wasn't 100% sure of how to get to the default programs in Win7. By the time I got around to checking again on my computer the solution (which I'm guessing will work) has been suggested by OhSnap)

Back
Top Bottom