Antivirus Question

copiman

In Runtime
I was told that there are two kinds of antivirus software. One is commercial and the other is residential. I was also told with residential, when your subscription ends you are not protected anymore. Then I was told that you are protected, you just don't get any updates. So confusing. As with commercial, I was told you are still protected and get updates (kind of like the honor system).

Anyway, I thought why not ask the experts who know. And how can one tell the difference when purchasing the two?

You are correct as there is commercial/businesses & home versions from some vendors.

I think you might be confusing the commercial & home as to what type of licences you get & what you pay.

All you need is an antivirus suit designed for home computers and you will pay a yearly subscription which if not renewed will be disabled.

Of course you can use the free anti-viruses available but most will not have the enhanced features compared to the paid versions.

Your choice, Good luck.

Last edited:
Well with subscriptions for antivirus if your subscription expired the software continues to operate but you don't get current updates.
ESET has a good antivirus program. I have 3 computers covered for just under 80 dollars a year.

Well with subscriptions for antivirus if your subscription expired the software continues to operate but you don't get current updates.
ESET has a good antivirus program. I have 3 computers covered for just under 80 dollars a year.

You will find that use to be the case but these days most vendors are designing the antivirus suits to disable them selves until you pay the $$$.
Most will warn you are not protected until subscription is renewed.

Thanks all for your input. I'm really not concerned with commercial antivirus. Just curious. I am very interested in the home computer one though.

Let me ask this about protection. There are a lot of software out there to choose from. I heard that it is best to get the paid for version when getting Anti-virus software, that free versions are questionable. I also heard that you should get a stand alone anti-virus software. Not a suite with all kinds of protection. Would like to hear what you think.

I also heard that in addition to anti-virus you should obtain a separate software for male ware and spyware. And that the free versions are OK for this. Again, what do you think about this as well.

What do you use?

I prefer an antivirus suit over stand alone as it will have more features for better protection & yes a separate malware/spyware is usually needed at times.

I use Nortons now, had it for the last 4 years with no problems and it does not slow down or effect the PC in any way.

I will put it in another way, I do a lot of online transactions & business dealings with my PC and never had a security breach/virus/malware which is very important to me.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Oh, watch out with this kind of posts, it's an spiky topic :p

As you said, once your license had expired your software will keep running but you wont have updates until you renew it.

By the way, about the free antivirus, I use to visit the av-comparatives website because it has a ton of interesting reports about viruses and malware security and some free antivirus make some commercial solutions bite the dust pretty badly, specially Avira.

When choosing an antivirus you should pay attention to a few parameters such like the resident protection (common viruses registered in the company's data base) and the heuristic protection (viruses not discovered yet or viruses that can mute to be undetectable).

Back
Top Bottom