Use Password only for Remote Desktop

chuck4100

Solid State Member
Hello,
I am wondering if it is possible to access a computer via windows remote desktop WITH a password while not having a password on the user account i am logging into.

Both computers are windows 7.
The setup is I have my primary PC, then I have another PC that I run dedicated servers off for games. I was intending to set up more services from the server later on and realized that the system is completely open, so security is non-existent.

I have the "server-pc" remain always on with a daily restart, however, if i put a password on the user account, it wont load to desktop without the password each time.

-So I want the "server" to startup to desktop but require a password when using remote desktop access from my primary system or third-party clients like 2X.

Thank you

P.S. gpedit.msc>'limit local accounts use of blank passwords to console logon only' is disabled on the server-pc

It is possible, in a way.

The account must have a password. You can configure the account to auto-login by running "control userpasswords2" and unchecking the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

Last edited:
Well, looks like that solved my issue.

-ran control userpasswords2
-unchecked the box>it asked me to store a password for auto-login>i set one
-set credentials on the pc i am using remote desktop on to use the PW
-pc w/ pw now starts-up all the way and still requires password for remote access

Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom