Grad school-MIS Masters (Advice/Input)

Yes, Information Security was one of my main picks for how interesting it sounded. Change is good, however, would I need consistent schooling and certificates to keep up with this field?

You shouldn't no, so long as you keep up on the new technologies you'll be OK. Generally speaking, when you're in the trenches you're learning the new stuff just by having it come up in what you need to do. Good companies will pay for you to get any formal education on new stuff if it ever becomes required.

Generally speaking, when you're in the trenches you're learning the new stuff just by having it come up in what you need to do.

This. That's what I was getting at about learning stuff while working that I would have never been able to learn in school.

The thing I don't get is:
What do you want to do?

You say you'll study mis, but why? Are you wanting to design systems, work out logic flow for existing systems, code systems, support systems, do data entry...?

What's your goal?

Glad that I saw this thread. My bachelor's degree is in Business Administration with a concentration in MIS. I'm currently working on my MBA with a concentration in MIS. It's a great field to be getting into, in my experience. A couple of questions: What degree do you want? Is it only MIS or are you wanting something like an MBA with MIS involved? What do you want to do with your degree?

MIS is a great "launchpad." It gets you into the right area, and how you do is what you make of it. From my education, MIS is not designed to teach you everything but to teach you the basics of what you need to know and let you learn from there. This has worked well for me, as I do not want to sit at a computer for 40+ hours a week and write code. I do, however, understand programmers and what they want and I'm able to translate that into a business sense, which is a great area of interest for me.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Back
Top Bottom