To upgrade computer or just buy a new one.

scruffy1012

Baseband Member
My current computer is a Asus V-P8h67, it has 8 installed physical memory, windows 7 professional intel core I7-2600 CPU @3.4 Mhz 4 core(s). I searched the model (V-P8H67E) and it come up with this ASUS - P8H67-V, i think its the same model. I'm going to be using the computer mainly/strictly for recording, the computer at the moment it can be fairly slow and crashes a fair bit. Is there any use in upgrading the components of the computer to suit my needs or should i just buy a completely new computer. I was thinking about upgrading my ram/sound card/ graphics (for some of the newer games) and cooling system (possibly the processor as well?). my budget would be around 1-1.5 for a new computer/components.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

To be honest thatis pretty good spec as it is (though I can't comment too much on the processor).

I personally would get a new graphics card and if you really use the sound card a new one of them. Maybe a new HDD as well.

Though if you really really want to upgrade to that sort of degree, with your budget I would say to go the whole hog and get everything upgraded.

Mossiac

The CPU will keep up with most of today's graphics cards in games without any problems. The downside with your CPU and motherboard is that there is no overclocking abilities. Well, very little. And also only supports up to 1333MHz memory. I know i'm running the same CPU and motherboard (Well just the P8H67 not V) and i have to say it runs everything great.

Video editing shouldn't be a problem. An SSD would help out here also. As it would with boot times etc.

Basically it's a very capable system with 8GB+ worth of decent ram and a good graphics card it performs brilliantly.

But on the other hand it's not one of the best systems by the standards today. So if you really have the itch to upgrade and of course the money to do so. Then go the whole lot like Mossiac said ;)

I would be thrilled to have the PC you do. I can't believe you are talking about upgrading or getting new already.

That said, if you have a grand to spend on a new computer, you really could get a top of the line one by todays standards.

I would be thrilled to have the PC you do. I can't believe you are talking about upgrading or getting new already.

Yeh i'm confused also. Like i said it's more than capable. Certainly with Hyper threading enabled too. I have it on all the time and it has never given me any problems in non hyper threaded applications.

Like i said OP the CPU and Motherboard are more than enough for video recording/editing. I would just recommend getting 16GB of memory to do so better. May be a SSD and you'd have a very nice system.

And were you mentioned "it can be fairly slow and crashes a fair bit". I would say you probably don't have something configured right in you bios or your HDD is old/to slow or just got bad sectors on it or something. Probably need a fresh OS install also.

Another thing to take in to account is what PSU are you running it all off?

Yeh i'm confused also. Like i said it's more than capable. Certainly with Hyper threading enabled too. I have it on all the time and it has never given me any problems in non hyper threaded applications.

Like i said OP the CPU and Motherboard are more than enough for video recording/editing. I would just recommend getting 16GB of memory to do so better. May be a SSD and you'd have a very nice system.

And were you mentioned "it can be fairly slow and crashes a fair bit". I would say you probably don't have something configured right in you bios or your HDD is old/to slow or just got bad sectors on it or something. Probably need a fresh OS install also.

Another thing to take in to account is what PSU are you running it all off?

Yeah, im gonna stick with it and just up the memory and get a new gpu, ill checdk the psu now

A SSD would give you significantly improved boot times, and since it has been crashing on you lately, I would suggest reinstalling Windows onto a SSD. That way you can probably eliminate some of the crashing, have a clean install, and not lose your data on your old drive.

Back
Top Bottom