Dell Inspiron Duo. Windows XP?

Zax1108

Baseband Member
Hello all. I picked up a dell duo at a fair price to play around with. well windows 8 annoys me (Another topic for another time) I need a windows XP computer and thought this would be a good pick. however there are no dell promoted drivers for windows XP on there support site.

Now working with custom build computers I know how drivers work and all that. and know that dell is just a brand with a bunch of other brands inside the computer. do you think it's possible to get drivers for each aspect that requires a driver. and use windows XP on it. Or should I keep looking for a windows XP computer?

Feather more. I was at the HP forums not long ago all of a week. and had a question about installing windows XP to an HP I had laying around. someone there told me that windows XP has a conflict with SATA drives. This I do not believe. I've seen many computers with windows XP installed on them. and they use a SATA hard drive system. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!
Best Regards~Zachary.

I've had many machines with SATA drives and Windows XP installed so I wouldn't take note of this (although I do actually remember hearing something about this conflict, but I don't know where from?) but as I say never been a problem for me or anyone I know.

Re your drivers, your best bet is to download something like Everest Home edition, which will analyse your PC and tell you all of your components, you can then go to the manufacturers website for each of the devices and see if you can get the drivers.

It depends on what experience they may have had with sata type drives, They've probably had bad experience with them and say that. Like SSC456 I've had many computers with sata hard drives and hardly ever had a problem.

Re your drivers, your best bet is to download something like Everest Home edition, which will analyse your PC and tell you all of your components, you can then go to the manufacturers website for each of the devices and see if you can get the drivers.

^^ That.

As for XP and SATA drives, it wasn't the drives, or the drive's interface at fault, it's that most motherboards defaulted the SATA ports to RAID mode. Unless you pressed F6 and installed special drivers off of a floppy on windows install it would not see the drives as installed and available to be used. Most people didn't know you could switch the controller to IDE/Legacy mode to get around that.

Back
Top Bottom