Repeated reboots

Esradekan

Solid State Member
OK, here is an odd one. My computer seems to want to reboot at odd times. It mainly does it overnight while not being used, but sometimes it can happen during the day, for seemingly no reason at all. I understand that I can view the event viewer (I'm running Win7 Ultinmate by the way) but I dont understand a word its trying to tell me, or how to get the info I need. I have googled with no success. I have repeatedly scanned for virus or malware - nothing. It appears that hardware is all OK. So how do I understand what its saying to me? How do I find out why my computer reboots for what seems like no reason? I hope someone can help me with this.

TIA
Esradekan

I understand that I can view the event viewer (I'm running Win7 Ultinmate by the way) but I dont understand a word its trying to tell me, or how to get the info I need. So how do I understand what its saying to me? How do I find out why my computer reboots for what seems like no reason? I hope someone can help me with this.

TIA
Esradekan

Go into the event viewer take a screenshot and upload it here and then we maybe able to help you.

jmacavall, thanks for the reply, but no, brand new power supply.

bk123, thank you too for reply. There are so many parts to the event viewer, which part would you like?

Going to bed now, so might not be back for comment or further posting for a day or so. I do appreciate any help though.

TIA
Esradekan

Just because it is new, does not mean that it isn't faulty.

Could be windows updates. Could be bad RAM/MoBo. Could be a whole lot of things. We need to test them individually and the easiest to test is the power supply if you have an extra one around you could swap out and see if it still happens.

I have a power supply tester, and checked it out on that, all 'OK'. Power supply tester is new too. Also was shutting down before THAT power supply puit in. Run memtest on RAM, all good. Also run Windows diagnostics on RAM too, all good as well. Unplugged different pieces of hardware - USB hubs etc, still shut down after that.

Go into the event viewer take a screenshot and upload it here and then we maybe able to help you.

A screen shot likely won't show all of the information, without getting like 30 of them.

What would help is if you go into event viewer, expand the "Windows Logs" group, right click on "System" and then "save all events as..." Once saved, upload that file here and we can look at it. Depending on how big it is, you might need to put it in a zip first.

Having trouble uploading file to here. How do I do that?

Sorry, Novice here.

Esradekan

Instead of making a quick reply, Click on go advanced under the box and then scroll down and you will see manage attachments, click on that and another window will appear and you will have the option to choose three things to attach. Once you have chosen your attachments and then click upload and close the window.

Back
Top Bottom