Thinking of a new laptop

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
So I'm thinking of getting a new laptop soon to replace the one I have but not sure what I wanna get.

I have a a few requirements that are must haves that makes finding things a little difficult -

Keyboard needs to have a number pad
Screen must be in the 15" range, 1920x180 resolution would be nice but not required,
minimum of an i5 processor
Must be able to handle at least 8GB of RAM,
Needs a CD/DVD drive that can be replaced with a hard drive caddy. THe caddies are usually a seperate cost that I'd have to buy from like ebay to get cheap, but the idea is to throw an SSD in there and take the drive the lappy comes with to use as a data drive in the caddy instead of having an optical drive.

Brand preferences are Asus, Acer and Samsung. Absolutely no dells will be considered, and could be convinced to look at something outside of these three.

I'm not picky on the video card. I do not plan on using this for games, but being able to do valve-engine games would be nice.

Ideally, this would cost about $700. Anyone know of something good?

Oh, I've been hearing good things about sony recently as well and I'm willing to give them a shot.

Before I just venture off and try something - does anyone have any suggestions?

Sony's are good. I also like Acer. Why not post some of the ones your looking at.

Haha because I have no specific ones that I'm looking at. I've never been good at picking out laptops for myself. All I know I the basics of what I want (listed above). I've done a little browsing since I posted and I've yet to come up with a list of "I think I really like this" What I have noticed is that getting a 1080p resolution is likely not going to happen.

BK - My experiences with HP are hit or miss - having HP repair certification I've seen the crap they try to pass off as working on their business units. That said, if there's one with good reviews I'm not going to say no to it.

Yes HP. I've had my DV6 for over 7 years now and still works just fine. Says something about reliability.
This is my G7
i3 2350M 2.3ghz
6 gigs of ram(out of the box)
Intel graphics 3000 1.6 gigs of video ram
Win7 home premium 64 bit
620 gig HD
Wireless N
Gigabit LAN port
3 USB ports
HDMI with sound
17" screen
7 in 1 card reader
Incredible audio
dvd combo drive
Easy on the battery too. I get 5 hours on mine.
$557.00usd out the door.

Back
Top Bottom