RAM: Can we put it to bed?

That's true, if the hardware or OS limit you then there's nothing you can do about it, that's a given. If you install more RAM than the hardware or OS can access, it will NEVER be used. However, even if the hardware and software support more, if you typically never need more than 8G but you install 16 or even 32G, is it worth it to you to have spent the extra money for that additional RAM that may only be called into play occasionally?

Decided to go ahead and order ram based on the formula which dictates using the lesser of the two numbers from the motherboard and operating system. In my case that would be 16GB total or 8GB added to my existing 8GB. I was tired of worrying about it. While I was at the Crucial website, the chat box appeared. When I use chat lines I usually get a high school girl working part time, knows nothing that's not on the script she's reading from. But, I figured I'd use it anyhow since it popped up. But I'd order what I came for (8GB).

This time I got “John”. I asked him if consumers could order more ram than they could use. He immediately answered “Yes”. He said that too much memory might actually cause the computer to fail to power up. Never heard that one. Then he advised me to use the OS or the motherboard spec, whichever was less. So that's exactly what I did. And that's going to be my policy until someone can tell me why it shouldn't be.

I guess it should be noted that the motherboard max-ram spec factors in other hardware soldered to it (CPU, etc.). And any changes to the board, or any upgrades in software, would change the max-ram, of course. A stunning example of that is the increase in max-ram when going from win7 HomePremium at 16GB to a whoping 192GB for win7 Pro. I'm done. Thanks to all.

... Then he advised me to use the OS or the motherboard spec, whichever was less. So that's exactly what I did. And that's going to be my policy until someone can tell me why it shouldn't be. ...
I don't understand why that policy would not be obvious to you?

It's really a matter of a chain only being as strong as it's weakest link. In this case, whichever, mobo or OS, is the weakest link is (least RAM capability), that's what you're limited to.

"I don't understand why that policy would not be obvious to you?"

I can't believe you said that man. In all the years I've been messin' with computers, everyone I talk to seems to think it's all but unknowable, that the only way to have enough ram is to stuff all you can get in there. It wasn't until yesterday that I learned about the rule of using the lesser of the two (mobo and win-ver) to know the real max. Do a Google search for determining the max and see how many goose chases you go on. Come on man. Say you're sorry.

How can it not be anything but obvious? If the OS only supports x amount or the mobo only supports x amount or the BIOS or whatever piece of the puzzle only supports x amount, why would ANYONE stick more than that amount of RAM in the machine?

When people speak of sticking more RAM in the machine, it's assumed that it's within the bounds of your hardware/software.

BTW, how many years have you been around computers?

I started out on a machine with a 640K maximum RAM capability. 256K of that was on the motherboard and 384K on a memory expansion card. I think that was the last desktop I owned in which I actually maxed out the RAM. After that, desktops could usually take more RAM than I was willing to spend the money for. I typically only max out the RAM on laptops and netbooks since their motherboards generally have lower max RAM capabilities since they often have only 2 memory slots available.

Last edited:
The only time that you'd need to have 32GB of ram in a computer if your running a server like running games like minecraft that have 3 or 4 servers running off the one machine. Like others have said adding 32GB when you have 16GB installed it won't speed up your performance and your OS won't be able to take advantage of it all.

For virtually every user under the sun, 8GB is more than enough.

To give you an idea, at my job, we have a terminal server that users log into that has 32GB of RAM. At any point, there are at least 25 users logged into it, running a myriad of office productivity applications.

What do you do on your computer that makes you want to upgrade?

I completely disagree with this.

I will agree that the majority of average users will never come close to maxing out 8Gb RAM but there is still a huge amount of people that like myself which may be running applications, Visual Studio, Photoshop, SQL Server and a couple of web browsers which all together can add up to quite a lot of memory.

The machine i'm on at the minute has 10Gb RAM and to be honest if im doing anything database intensive then 6Gb of that is gone straight away.

I took a chance of embarrassing myself by revealing that I didn't know how to max out my ram without wasting money. I was apparently wrong in thinking the mystery of it was wide-spread. Apparently I was the only one who didn't know to go to the neck of the funnel. I do, of course, understand the principle of that. Just didn't know if there was more to it than that. But that's okay. I know now. Thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom