Which of these 2 machines should i buy?

Should I buy the Lenovo or the Asus (both $630)?

• Lenovo14" i7-3517U(1.9ghz dualcore threaded)/24GB SSD/750GBhdd/8GBram/1GB intelHM77 graphic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASUS 15.6" i7-3630QM (2.4ghz quadcore threaded)/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/integrated graphics

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Pavlo01

Beta member
Hello computer bloggers,

I am writing because I am in the process of purchasing a new laptop and I have narrowed my options to the following two:

Lenovo IdeaPad 14" Ultrabook - Grey (Intel Core i7-3517U / 8GB RAM / 24GB SSD / 750GB HDD/Windows 8) : Ultrabooks - Future Shop

ASUS 15.6" Laptop - Brown (Intel Core i7-3630QM / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8) : 15" Laptops - Future Shop

I would greatly appreciate your input as to which of the two you would choose. I am also open to any other machines you may be aware of that are within the $630 price range.

Thank you very much,
Regards

I'll go for the ASUS.
It's got a better CPU. (It's the same architecture (CPU design), but the Lenovo is missing 2 cores and are clocked 500 mhz lower)
It's got a bigger screen. (To me a proper laptop screen size is 15.6 inches. but that's just my opinion)

The Lenovo has an SSD... which is good, but it's only 24 GB. In my opinion the only things you should use a 24 GB SSD drive is as a SRT drive or as a portable erternal harddrive.
SRT is intels "smart response technology" that stores recently accessed files on the SSD for faster access. it works pretty good.
Unfortunately the Lenovo's chipset does not support SRT. you can install Win7 on it as a boot drive, but then the hole SSD will be used up.

So my choice is the ASUS.

Hey, thanks for your input but it seems to me like im leaning toward the lenovo and I'm most likely going to buy it (unless something changes my mind last minute). I think if i run widnows off the SSD then it can make up for the slower pcu, plus i also like the many other perks of the Lenovo like dedicated graphics, esthetics (light weight, metal casing) and lithium polymer battery

To be honest I would go with the asus. As everyone else has said its better all round.

Having said that it does depend on what you will use it for.

Mossiac

Running windows 7 on a 24gb is not gonna be fun.
After the NTFS formatting and windows 7 installation and updates, you will have no space what so ever on the C:\ Drive.
You will then get these "low space on system volume" notifications. Also the system will have no space to expand.
I will highly advice against using a pathetic 24gb SSD as a boot drive for an OS as big as Windows 7.
Use Lubuntu (small Linux OS) if the SSD is so important for you as a boot drive.

If you really want an SSD as the C:\ drive on win7, then you should look after another computer or buy an SSD as an upgrade.

About the graphics: they are both running on an Intel HD4000 integrated GPU. It's not at all meant for gaming.
So if the one has 512Mb og Video memory and the other has 1GB, it really doesn't matter.

The Lenovo is nicer looking. i'll give it that. but pure bang for the bug, the Asus is better.
The decision is yours.

i'll add, for a web and document computer ONLY, then horse power is not really that important as long it is up to date.
so if your use are internet and document only, it might be a fine option. just remember you are choosing looks and weight over that much better CPU, and don't think of the SSD as a selling point. it's not very useful when it's only at 24 GB.

Back
Top Bottom