Laptop

nev1

Beta member
Hi there, got a problem with my laptop it will boot up put my monitor screen will not come on, if I put it through my tv works ok.
Would it be that the screen has gone, is there away I can find out.... thank you.

Ok I don't know much about this but since it works on the tv you Video card is ok and it just seems that your screen is broken not sure (sorry I'm not much help) but I think it is the screen

Sounds like the back light inverter has gone out. With out back lighting the screen is so dark it can appear to be not operating.

Sounds like the back light inverter has gone out. With out back lighting the screen is so dark it can appear to be not operating.

To test this, take a flashlight and hold it up to the screen. If you can see faint outlines of desktop elements, then your backlight is out.

Have you looked in your display settings to make sure the internal display isn't disabled? I feel like it should be automatically re-enabled once no other display's are available (i.e., you unplug the cable to the TV) but it's worth a try. Also, try turning up the brightness.

I think it's been pretty well established but def sounds like the screen is the broken part. If it's not under warranty you can get replacements and replace it yourself. Or it may be time for a new laptop.

Before saying the screen is bad, have you made sure you didn't switch the output mode by accident? many laptops have a way where by pressing the "Fn" + some other key you can cycle between the laptop's monitor, an external or both getting signal.

Agree celegorm, but that "should" switch back once you unplug the external monitor.

Agreed, it should switch - but there was a point in time when I first started working in IT where consumer (non-business model) laptops wouldn't automatically switch. In the interest of saving money it's just a nice simple way to make sure you're not throwing money away.

Back
Top Bottom