Boot virus

copiman

In Runtime
When I boot up, my desktop comes up, then goes away and a page comes up stating my computer is in violation of the government and to get it released I need to send $300.00. Was wondering what software to run to clean this puppy up?

The easiest way is to load Combofix onto a CD and boot the computer into safe mode with command prompt. Run Combofix from there.

You got to love that ransomware.
After you get this mess cleaned up get an antivirus. Keep it updated and stay away from dodgy web sites and don't open odd emails.

Just fix a laptop with similar problem load up and FBI message pop up to pay a fee so laptop can be usable, to repair it; burn hirens boot cd it's a free download, boot up from cd and run mini windows xp, then run the malware software or a ccleaner it provides and you should be able to get rid of it, by the way after you boot up does a message pop up asking to run a program?? Might be the last download you did.

My kids got this one before. My daughter called me at work and said the FBI wants us to go to Wal-Mart and get a $200 Green Dot Moneypack. Sounds legit. Lol!

One of my crew here's daughter did the same thing. The lappy had some miles on it so I took advantage of the bug to get her to let me wipe the drive and install win7. After that I wouldn't give it back to her until she anted up for ESET's security suite 6.
No problems since. Well since I bent the kid's ear for how much mom had just dropped to fix her boo boo. I'll ask her what web site her kid was on when it got clobbered. I'd bet real money they were on the same one.

It usually happens when your downloading torrents or watching movies online @ certain websites. Hirens boot cd is the answer.

Thanks to all for responding. I tried Combofix and that did not work. It was suggested to use Hitman Pro. Ran that and still no go. About 2 boot ups later AVG (free) found something and I deleted it. All is well now.

Keep this in mind before thinking Combofix or Hitman is not a solution. I am still learning about computers and networking at a tech college. So more than likely the problem using them was me.

Thanks again for everyone's support. It has been very helpful in my quest to become a computer/network tech.

Free version of Malwarebytes probably would have been a good program to use to get rid of malware.

Back
Top Bottom