Grad school-MIS Masters (Advice/Input)

Raoul-Duke

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could pick some of your brains.

I'm 25 and a finance major, I am currently working as a transfer agent analyst at a private investment firm for about one year now after college.

However, I am looking to go back to school for my Master's and would like to go into MIS.

With having a finance background I am wondering will I be able to do the work that is required in the curriculum?

I have had some MIS classes before. Also have any of you heard of people with accounting/finance undergrads doing this before? Were they successful? Is it a desired combination?

I just want to make sure I'm not spending thousands of dollars on nothing. I really want this degree to make me desirable in the job market.
This is my main goal!! :thumb:

Finance is great but I really want to mainly work in IT. I find it so much more interesting. I hope I can achieve this with this Master's in MIS.

Please feel free to give any feedback/advice/input/past experience, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Not real sure what an MIS is, but I have a 2 year associate degree and am working for a public school as the only Tech Coordinator - with about 600 computers and 1200 or so users.

The general concensus on this forum is that your knowledge and experience and how well you can sell yourself in an interview will probably mean more than a degree.

Not real sure what an MIS is, but I have a 2 year associate degree and am working for a public school as the only Tech Coordinator - with about 600 computers and 1200 or so users.

The general concensus on this forum is that your knowledge and experience and how well you can sell yourself in an interview will probably mean more than a degree.

MIS = Management Information Systems.

Well my knowledge and experience is limited, thus the reason why I want to go to school and become educated on the subject. lol ;)

Of course a degree is need to get your application or resume even looked at, that's not what I was saying. I was just saying that most members here, will agree, that once you are into the interview process, then the degree you have won't matter as much as how well you interview and are able to answer the questions they have. I was just pointing out that you can go and spend "thousands of dollars" on a degree but don't think that automatically will give you access to a good job. You still may end up on the bottom rung and have to work you way up behind people who have been doing IT for so long that they don't have a degree and still know way more than you. I can tell you that I've learned more by working than they could have ever taught me in a classroom.

I'm not saying you shouldn't switch and you shouldn't get a degree. That's entirely up to you, I'm just trying to provide some insight from someone in the industry on what you can expect. I think it's important to enjoy what you do for a living because it makes life so much better.

I'm kind of rambling here....sorry about that. I can't really answers any more of your questions because I'm not sure what you could/would do with a MIS degree.

Of course a degree is need to get your application or resume even looked at, that's not what I was saying. I was just saying that most members here, will agree, that once you are into the interview process, then the degree you have won't matter as much as how well you interview and are able to answer the questions they have. I was just pointing out that you can go and spend "thousands of dollars" on a degree but don't think that automatically will give you access to a good job. You still may end up on the bottom rung and have to work you way up behind people who have been doing IT for so long that they don't have a degree and still know way more than you. I can tell you that I've learned more by working than they could have ever taught me in a classroom.

I'm not saying you shouldn't switch and you shouldn't get a degree. That's entirely up to you, I'm just trying to provide some insight from someone in the industry on what you can expect. I think it's important to enjoy what you do for a living because it makes life so much better.

I'm kind of rambling here....sorry about that. I can't really answers any more of your questions because I'm not sure what you could/would do with a MIS degree.

No, no I definitely hear where you're coming from and agree with you. It works both ways really. If I don't have the degree I will never get the interview, which that "good" job won't happen either, nor will the experience. It's a small risk I am willing to take. I appreciate your feedback/input!

I'm trying to mainly figure out what good concentrations to study in regards to what is desirable in the job market out there these days/future.

I have a few to choose from:

Accounting and Financial Systems
Business Administration
Health Administration
Information Systems Security
Integrated Marketing Communications
Management and Organizational Behavior
Professional Internship
Project Management

From the full detailed descriptions, I like:

Accounting and Financial Systems
Health Administration
Information Systems Security
Project Management

But I know in this field there are niches, I want to be in a well off niche that will better me in life. I'm not trying to spend all this money for nothing. :facepalm:

I hate to speak for the forum and I'll probably end up being wrong, but the reason I think no one is responding is no one on the forum has any experience with any of these fields. Most of the regulars here actually do something other than IT/Computers for their jobs and just do the computer stuff on the side or as a hobby. The few of us who are in IT for their jobs, do so in a much more strickly IT side of things. Hardware/Software/Network as opposed to anything you put down on that list.

I hate to speak for the forum and I'll probably end up being wrong, but the reason I think no one is responding is no one on the forum has any experience with any of these fields. Most of the regulars here actually do something other than IT/Computers for their jobs and just do the computer stuff on the side or as a hobby. The few of us who are in IT for their jobs, do so in a much more strickly IT side of things. Hardware/Software/Network as opposed to anything you put down on that list.

Dang! :banghead:

This - I'm familiar with the idea of MIS and most of what you've listed, but my field experiance is building, repairing and home/small office networks. Then there is the programmer part of me.

Of your list I'm probably most familiar with Information Security which is a fun field of study. Beyond just storing data in an encrypted manner it covers sending data securely and secure inter-computer communications. If you want to be in something that is always changing that'd be a great one.

This - I'm familiar with the idea of MIS and most of what you've listed, but my field experiance is building, repairing and home/small office networks. Then there is the programmer part of me.

Of your list I'm probably most familiar with Information Security which is a fun field of study. Beyond just storing data in an encrypted manner it covers sending data securely and secure inter-computer communications. If you want to be in something that is always changing that'd be a great one.

I see what you guys mean, well still good to be here!

Yes, Information Security was one of my main picks for how interesting it sounded. Change is good, however, would I need consistent schooling and certificates to keep up with this field?

It sounds like it can get quite expensive and time consuming. But, it would be worth it with how interesting it sounds, and of course if it pays well.

Back
Top Bottom