High-end SOHO ADSL routers

_michaelm

In Runtime
Hi all,

I've had my adsl modem/router combo for some time now (Dlink 2740B, 5 years) and judging by its gradual decline in responsiveness* I am considering a new one.

Unlike most people who are mis-sold high-end routers such as these, I do actually make use of most of the functionality (i.e. Internal IP subnet schemas, DMZ, DHCP reservation pools, port/application forwarding, wireless crypto options except 802.1x/RADIUS and all of the scanning defences - Xmas, TCP, ping, Syn flood etc. etc.)

I've only just started looking around at what's available now and some interesting features have appeal to me:

1) Multiple simultaneous Wireless SSIDs with different security policies applied,
2) The built-in USB port such - such as that found on Netgear N600/900 routers - for efficient NAS (or other, e.g. printer) capability without running a separate machine (I currently have an external hard-drive connected to a raspberry pi going into ethernet powerline adapters and then into my router)

Other features which are absolutely essential (enumeration includes those mentioned previously in text):
1) Wired Gigabit ethernet connections x4**
2) Wireless N dual-band**
3) DMZ
4) Security scanning defences
5) Internal IP management (controlling /16 or /24 subnets at least, CIDR preferable)
6) DHCP reservation range (i.e. static IP assignments by MAC address)
7) Port forwarding
8) Wireless security of WPA2 AES, but also WPA TKIP (some devices require legacy protocol support e.g. phone/wii/xbox/kindle - note that most of these 'support' the more advanced standard, but for whatever reason mine do not work) - I am NOT bothered about WPS since it is insecure and only of use to people who otherwise don't know how to setup their network.

So the question - if it wasn't already obvious - is, does anyone know of / have experience with SOHO ADSL modem/router combos (or individual pairings which work well together) that can offer all the required features, a preferably some new things too. Note that any candidate must satisfy an ADSL connection and not cable (could do both).

A couple of supplementary and related questions would be:

a) Does anyhow have any particular experiences with this end of the market for things to AVOID and why?

b) What are people's thoughts on reliability and quality of components between manufacturers? I make fairly heavy use of routers - changing configs frequently - and am willing to pay extra (if necessary) for a more reliable product.

Sorry for the exceptionally long post, thanks in advance for all feedback received, I welcome any comments contrasting combo modem/routers vs. two units. I am aware of the theoretical benefits of dividing the two, but practical experiences / case studies would be useful also.

Regards,
Michael.

*For example: whilst the admin GUI is viewable, there are a number of options which either are no longer present, present and cannot be edited or present and editable but make no actual effect. As such I now have to download the settings file, edit the (very nasty) xml-style tagged information, and upload it again - which thankfully still works.

** I do a lot of internal network transfers, so gigabit ethernet and 802.11N are crucial.

Have you looked into pfsense? Thats what i have used for years. Im running it on a dual core atom board ,2 gig of ram,with gigabit ethernet connected to a 16 port gigabit switch and a wireless router as an access point.

I'd prefer not to run a separate machine to do all this, and still buy a switch, modem and wifi access point.. that is starting to become a little more expensive (both in initial outlay and power consumption) but I do appreciate the idea, and I do have machines which could do that job - just not the rest of the kit, so I'll keep it in mind.

Back
Top Bottom