VB.NET 2010 web browser

jaywash

Baseband Member
I made a very simple web browser in vb.net today (simply browses the web, with buttons at the top for going back, forward, refreshing, stopping and searching, as well as the textbox to put the url in), but now I want to slowly start upgrading it, so i though the next time I could do is start adding a way to check history. But I dont know how to do this so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips and how checking the histroy would work, i abviously dont expect the exact code for it, plus id never learn that way :) all help appreciated!

The main thing this introduces is persistence - you need somewhere to *store* the history. The previous functionality you've described isn't persisted, i.e. the browser doesn't need to store any data to do what it needs to do.

In a real browser this would probably be done using some form of database, but for now have a look at how to write to files, and then read them back. This I imagine will form the core of what you're trying to do.

The main thing this introduces is persistence - you need somewhere to *store* the history. The previous functionality you've described isn't persisted, i.e. the browser doesn't need to store any data to do what it needs to do.

In a real browser this would probably be done using some form of database, but for now have a look at how to write to files, and then read them back. This I imagine will form the core of what you're trying to do.

Thanks man, I'll take a look at my textbook (we're learning vb in class, although not the web browser portion) and see if I can find anything on reading and writing files.

Thanks man, I'll take a look at my textbook (we're learning vb in class, although not the web browser portion) and see if I can find anything on reading and writing files.

Sure thing.

Side note, are you the same person using a different account? If so you may want to get them merged to stop any confusion (and potentially warnings / bans if things go too far!)

Sure thing.

Side note, are you the same person using a different account? If so you may want to get them merged to stop any confusion (and potentially warnings / bans if things go too far!)

Yeah sorry, I didnt realize my tablet was signed in as my other account. Haha

Back
Top Bottom