Transfer an OS?

techi3

In Runtime
I have a computer with Windows XP. Is there a way to copy the XP OS to an external hard drive so I can load it to my VM on another computer? Will copying the %systemroot% work?

I'm not looking to do anything dirty like sharing it with multiple people. Is there a program that would rip it from my computer and only allow it to be downloaded once? That would solve the problem but does it exist?

I could just go buy it but hoping to learn something. Help please :)

There is not. The OS is so dependent on the hardware it's running on that the transfer to a VM image will not be successful.

If the key comers from an OEM computer (aka, built by HP, Dell or whatever) you can't even legally transfer it from the computer to the VM. The only time you can do this is with a retail version of the product key.

Oh well. I wanted Windows 2K too, I guess I'll just place an order for both. Thank you.

If you're running VMWare, you could convert the physical machine to a virtual one using their standalone converter.

If you're running VMWare, you could convert the physical machine to a virtual one using their standalone converter.

Does that work with Windows? I've never tried but never heard of any success using that to transform a windows install

Does that work with Windows? I've never tried but never heard of any success using that to transform a windows install

Well in my course the teacher had an install of windows 7 with a virus and its in the format of VM and it works fine.

Well in my course the teacher had an install of windows 7 with a virus and its in the format of VM and it works fine.

You can always make a VM from scratch if you install it in a VM system - that's never a problem and it's a good possibility that's what your professor did. What the OP is asking is there was an easy way to essentially copy-paste his current install into a VM. I didn't think there was with Windows OS'es but it looks like OSW proved me wrong.

I'll give that converter a try, I didn't know that existed. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom