Domain name for file sharing

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I always get stumped on this. Here's the details:
TP-Link router with usb ports.
One 500gig external HD
Router has built in ftp and media sharing. The media sharing locally is straight forward and works fine. The ftp function works ok also. Locally.

The router has a samba server built in and I want to be able to hit that from other networks. I got the DDNS from no-ip and it's either a propagation issue or it just doesn't work. I was wondering if I buy a domain name from GoDaddy and point it to my IP address would that work?

It's be the same problem.

When you hit your dyndns name you're hitting the external address, so for this to work.

Internally you need to use either the ip or setup a different name and internal DNS to point to the router address.

Alternatively, as I said you are hitting the external interface if the router, you can use port forwarding to allow smb shares to work.

Whether it's a good idea to allow smb shares to be externally accessible or not is a different discussion...

It does seem silly, but it was never designed to be given an external domain name for internal access.

I guess I should have told you how it's wired up.
The ISP comes in to the ATT moden/router.
From LAN port 1 (ATT) to LAN port 1 (tplink).
LAN ports 3 and 4 on the tplink go to the desk and lap top systems.
The DHCP is on in the ATT and off on the tplink.

It's still the case that the tplink has a firewall right?

I assume you have the external port plugged into the AT&T modem?

So there is still a firewall between the pc (which is in the external side if the tplink box) and the smb service (on the internal side of the tplink box)

I know that the tplink box is all internal, but it's still going to have a red/green interface.

why dont you just use like filezilla server, i set a ftp server up at my house, and all i have to do was config the filezilla program to use the IP of my harddrive or what ever ip device you will be using for the fileserver. then on the the router, if you have a router to where you can have the dyndns automatically update your dns. then login with your dyndns account info. you will also have to port forward your device that you are using for ftp and the computer where filezilla is at. if this is to vague please let me know :)

I have the dyndns already set up. The tplink 4300 comes with a screen already linked to 3 different dyndns host selections. What appears to be the problem is it sitting behind the ATT router's firewall. As soon as I punch a pass through in that I think it'll work.

why dont you just use like filezilla server, i set a ftp server up at my house, and all i have to do was config the filezilla program to use the IP of my harddrive or what ever ip device you will be using for the fileserver. then on the the router, if you have a router to where you can have the dyndns automatically update your dns. then login with your dyndns account info. you will also have to port forward your device that you are using for ftp and the computer where filezilla is at. if this is to vague please let me know :)

Easy, a whole other box running is say 200W (4.8kw per day) 1.7 MW per year. At £0.12 per kw that's £210 a year,
A hdd plugged into a router is an extra 30W, that£31 a year to run.

Doesn't sound like a lot extra, but that's a really low power machine, why add additional load and cost when you don't have to.

Gave up on the domain name thing. So now I own 2 somewhat silly domain names for the next 2 years with privacy.
But cha ching I did get the remote ftp working. I turned off the dhcp server in the tplink router and rebooted everything. Then using the att router ip and the ftp id and password I put all that in filezilla and walked right in.

Now I need to find some one to log in using a guest I set up and see if it work from some where else.

Back
Top Bottom