Vista Grey Screen

jonnylaceman

Solid State Member
Ok, so I'm trying to fix my moms computer..

It is a Dell Inspirion 1545 with Windows vista. When you turn it on it goes to a grey screen, no cursor no dell logo no nothing. Can not get into the Bios to set cd/dvd to run the vista recovery disc.

I havedata recovery cables and can access the hard drive and can pull information off of it. What can I do????

yes, sure did....external monitor says no signal.. I have found someone that has the same laptop. I'm gonna try that hard drive to make sure the hard drive is not corrupt. I don't think the computer is booting up at all, just grey screen no option for me to even get into the bios

Does it boot up and seem to be running?? But it's just a black screen? If so open it and take out the ram sticks then put them back that should work.

Then go ahead and do it might work similar thing happen with a desktop i had, would boot up but nada on screen, just black just removed the ram sticks for a few secs them place them back and see what happens. Should work good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Building off of Moren0's idea of a bad connection on memory (which I've seen as well), I've also seen a few hard drives do this. Try just pulling out the hard drive and see if you get any futher in the boot up processes. It's possible that the controller on the drive is going and it's sending weird signals to the motherboard on boot causing it to hang when the board ties to ID everything that's attached (rare, but it happens)

ok, so the hard drive boots up in another computer, all connections are good to the mother board, but I did find a split in the lcd wiring and it looks like its a little burnt out.. Gonna say that's the problem right there. Thansk for the help

Back
Top Bottom