which type of HDD do I have here?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
which type of HDD do I have here?

Hello all you computer experts I have a older HDD (none functioning) and am not exactly sure what type it is, it came out of my now retired windows XP laptop about ten years old.

I would like to reuse the extrenal case that I put this HDD in.
This is what printed on the HDD
Hitachi model HTS548020M9AT00
5400RPM
ATA/IDE
20GB
Guy's if this HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136096&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL042313&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL042313-_-EMC-042313-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22136096-L034D
will fit into the external case I would like to have it.
edit: this old HDD has alot of good files that were never backed up I would like to recover these files if it's not to complicated.
Thanks STB

The Hitachi drive is a laptop 2.5" IDE drive. The drive you linked to is a desktop 3.5" IDE drive. If your external enclosure is for a 2.5" drive then it's not going to fit.

If the Hitachi drive is non functioning, there's not a whole lot you can do to recover the files except send it off to a file recovery place where they take apart the drive and pull the files off in a clean room. It's very expensive.

Elaborate on "non functioning". If you just managed to wipe the drive on accident then it's possible. If the drive crashed and is clicking, then no. If the drive doesn't spin up, no.

woops my bad I got all excited about seeing a IDA HDD available. don't see IDA HDD available often.

if it was a 2.5 LT type it would have worked in my external case?

I'll check back w/ exactly what the old XP drive is doing I'm kindof reluctant to plug it into my newer window's 7 PC because it mite have a virus that's probablley what ruined it in the first place.

Thanks for the advice STB

IDE is a pretty old interface now. It's hard to find new IDE laptop drives. You can find some on eBay. 2.5" ide | eBay

If the drive just has a virus then the data is probably salvageable.

IDE is a pretty old interface now. It's hard to find new IDE laptop drives. You can find some on eBay. 2.5" ide | eBay

If the drive just has a virus then the data is probably salvageable.
good suggestion I'll keep an eye peeled on the bay for a IDE. Kindof like to reuse the external case.

?1. is the IDE interface slower than the SATA interface I have on my newer PC? if not then what is the dissadvantage of LT IDE HDDs ? I know the big ribbon cable on the PC IDE HDD is'nt desireable compared to PC SATA cables.

?2. I think it's certain to say this old 20GB has a virus, I was thinking of plugging it into my new PC and scanning it however I'm relucktant to infect my new PC.

Thanks STB

Last edited:
IDE is slower than SATA. Between that and the cable sizes (for desktops anyway) SATA is an overall better and newer type. The newest and fastest IDE drive can only transfer 166MBps. SATA I started at 150MBps, SATA II 300MBps, SATA III 600MBps.

With a majority of desktop motherboards, there was only 2 IDE connectors, which meant a total of 4 IDE devices could ever be connected unless you added an IDE controller card. The exception is I've owned 2 motherboards now that have 4 IDE connectors; out of well over 200 motherboards I've probably owned in my life. I haven't ever gotten around to using all 4 to see if it works like it should though. Anyway, newer motherboards can sometimes come with 6 or 8 SATA connections, and even with all 8 connected the cables don't really get in the way of airflow (with 8 drives you probably should have some good airflow).

Back
Top Bottom