looking for new gpu that wont be overkill for my old computer

microzee

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'm looking for a graphics card for my old dell dimension 2400, and I want a decent PCI card for it that won't have the bottleneck effect. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing computer specs, 2gb ram, p4 3ghz ht enabled processor. And that's it! If you mean current GPU, it comes with a terrible on board gpu which I don't even know the specs of.

What are you looking to do on a decade old machine? if you're just browsing the web, fine but if you want to play anything more than solitaire, you desperately need a new rig.

actually with all the tweaks I did, I have mine craft running at 60fps easy. Anyways its my choice that I want to waste my money on a 6 year old rig. I'm not here to have a discussion about that. I'm here to get help. So once again any suggestions?

actually with all the tweaks I did, I have mine craft running at 60fps easy. Anyways its my choice that I want to waste my money on a 6 year old rig. I'm not here to have a discussion about that. I'm here to get help. So once again any suggestions?

Does that machine have an AGP slot?

For PCI offerings, you have the GeForce 6200, 210, Radeon 9250 or 7000.

Last edited:
PCI slot only, will run that program in a second. And thanks oh snap word

Edit: just a quick question, when looking for geforce 6200, I'm finding a lot, but each I guess is made by someone different. There's chain tech, xfx, plalit, evga etc. What are these exactly? They have that in front of them, but then say geforce 6200.

Last edited:
Anyways its my choice that I want to waste my money on a 6 year old rig. I'm not here to have a discussion about that. I'm here to get help. So once again any suggestions?

OSW didn't seem to take this the wrong way but a lot of people have been over-reacting so I"m just going to quote this and get it out in public. We don't assume anything here and look to help people not only resolve their question, but do so at the best bang for your buck - even if that means saying things along the lines of "you're better of saving up for something better". No offense is ever meant by it, it's just an attempt to look out for your better interests.

Edit: just a quick question, when looking for geforce 6200, I'm finding a lot, but each I guess is made by someone different. There's chain tech, xfx, plalit, evga etc. What are these exactly? They have that in front of them, but then say geforce 6200.

Anyways back to the topic on hand: video cards are a little weird. What AMD (ATI) and Nvidia do is make chips. What EVGA, Galaxay, Asus, xfx and what seems like hundreds of others do is take those chips and the reference specs for those chips and build a card around that. You end up with a GPU that has the same core as all the others in the series (in your case a 6200 GPU) with slightly different specs (speed, memory, card layout ect) and in some cases quality of the final product.

So it really doesn't matter if I choose chain tech over evga, as long as the have the same memory right? And thanks for clearing that all up:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom