PC Sales

I have been heavily thinking of either upgrading my laptop or building a desktop, The thing is will I use my laptop more or the desktop, I have a desktop that isn't setup and which is going to be used as a media PC. I may tablet for taking out and about rather carrying around my heavy laptop but then what if need my laptop more than the tablet.

I have no issues multitasking on my phone or tablets. And both are plenty powerful for what I need most of the time. And when I need real processing power, laptops aren't up to the task yet. Tablets serve a good purpose. Easier to use when standing, good for taking notes in class, all sorts of uses.

I have no issues multitasking on my phone or tablets. And both are plenty powerful for what I need most of the time. And when I need real processing power, laptops aren't up to the task yet. Tablets serve a good purpose. Easier to use when standing, good for taking notes in class, all sorts of uses.

If I want to multitask on my laptop I will just hook it up to an external keyboard, mouse and monitor on an extended display.

Yep, I think that's going to be the way it is in the future. For now though, laptops aren't up to the task of the modeling I do. We have a very nice computer in my lab for solid modeling, and it still gets bogged down when you load in some of the bigger assemblies. And some of the engine simulations you just have to walk away and let them process for a while. Much better than it used to be. 10 years ago, you would just let them process for weeks or more at a time before getting data.

My college is still running desktops with core 2 duo first and second generation, 2-4GB ram, The laptops have i3-i5, 4GB ram and the teachers have laptops with core 2 duo second generation and 4GB ram, Some of these are used to photo editing, graphic design and a heap of other things.

Most of the computers here are like that also. Core 2 duo and so on. But my team owns two of our own with i7s and powerful workstation style GPUs (pretty sure at least). Dual monitors, 3D mouse, and all, they are great to work on. The 27" screen makes my 23 at home feel tiny, haha.

Most of the computers here are like that also. Core 2 duo and so on. But my team owns two of our own with i7s and powerful workstation style GPUs (pretty sure at least). Dual monitors, 3D mouse, and all, they are great to work on. The 27" screen makes my 23 at home feel tiny, haha.

When I do my certificate course for our practical work machines we use machines that have 512MB-2GB ram, Pentium 4 or Pentium dual core CPU's and 40GB-80GB hdd's..

On my iPad, all I have to do is swipe sideways with 4 fingers and I'm into my other app (program) or double click the home button and all my apps that I'm running show up. I don't understand how that is any different than minimizing one thing and opening another?

For the average user, a tablet will get the job done just as well as a laptop or desktop. There may be less power "under the hood" but for the average user, they don't use the full power of the desktop anyway.

It all comes down to personal preference. If you don't like a tablet, don't use it. I can however, get by with my tablet and use my desktop only for productivity (word proccessing or photo editing) but since I'm not in school anymore and since I ususally just leave the photos as they are when I take them, I rarely do either of these things. Therefore a tablet meets my needs perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom