Slow to reconnect to internet

Kevdog

Beta member
I have an Acer Aspire 5517 with Windows 7 installed, it is about 3.5 years old. Over time I noticed that if I step away from the computer for a while, when I go back to it it takes about 30 seconds to reconnect to the internet. I leave it on all the time and I don't think it is the router as my iPad doesn't experience this problem.

The computer never used to be this way, it is just something that has happened with age. Any thoughts on how I can resolve this?

I already did update the Atheros Wireless adaptor from the Acer website, it is dated from 2009. Any other driver's I should update?

There's a time out going on either in the wifi card or in the router and it's dropping the connection.

Go in to the power setting under performance and set the idle power off to disable. That leaves the wifi card turned on. Also check that setting in the wifi card settings. They both affect the idle time out.
In the router got to the lease time for IP's. Most likely it's set to some ridiculously short time. Set that for as high as it will go.

Probably run the windows troubleshooter.

That won't help at all :rolleyes:

Go in to the power setting under performance and set the idle power off to disable. That leaves the wifi card turned on. Also check that setting in the wifi card settings. They both affect the idle time out.
In the router got to the lease time for IP's. Most likely it's set to some ridiculously short time. Set that for as high as it will go.

There should also be, maybe in the Wifi options, the option for the computer to 'turn off the wifi card to save power'. You can turn this off so that the computer can't do that. It's along the same lines as what Seti said.

Back
Top Bottom