OS Will Not Install

ashpash21

In Runtime
Okay so at the moment I am trying to install windows on my older computer, the hard drive is just a 7200rpm maxtor 160gb. First I tried to install Windows XP (It was originally on it) and when it trys to copy the files it says that it cannot do so, I skipped a few and thought something wasn't right, so I then tried installing windows 7, it used to work fine on that computer when I used it. This ran the setup the whole way through and looked like it was going to work, but when trying to restart the computer i got to the boot options and every time I selected Windows 7 it failed and I got the same screen again.
I think the hard drive is faulty, any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Could be a bad copy of windows or your hard drive, Try using a different copy of windows or hard drive.

If you actually read his post BK, he did use 2 different copies of windows, he used XP and Windows 7.

It could be a faulty hard drive, maybe your DVD drive is faulty is a possibility as well. Happened to me once trying to do a re-install, kept getting errors and it turned out to be the DVD drive. I would bet money on the hard drive being stuffed.

It could be a faulty hard drive, maybe your DVD drive is faulty is a possibility as well. Happened to me once trying to do a re-install, kept getting errors and it turned out to be the DVD drive. I would bet money on the hard drive being stuffed.

This is what I'm thinking as well. The errors XP had copying files is almost always a bad hard drive in my experience with that.

I agree with the above....Hard Drive is your most likely problem.

Don't bother trying to fix / format / or any repair job. Just pick up a new one. They are not to pricey.....

I doubt this is a problem with OPTICAL drives...but try playing a few basic audio CDs, film DVDs and maybe test a few burns then reads through the drive. Pretty easy to test if the drive is faulty or not.....

Back
Top Bottom