Old Computer Runs Slow but has Nothing On It?

You can pick up drives at newegg dirt cheap. It's not complicated to swap them out in a laptop. LOL Just don't lose the screws. LOL

What AV? That's what I was asking. AV's can be major resource hogs.

It's not a laptop. It's a desktop.

Its something different.. I think its called comodo or something.

I just installed the p4 and before I bought it I made sure it was compatible, but now windows starts but shows black screen with the mouse in the middle(I can't move the mouse). The processor is recognized in the bios and appears to be fine.

Last edited:
Might have to reload? Not sure - could be a driver issue? I've never swapped a CPU before.

Can I suggest uninstalling Comodo and going with something like Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG or Avast! instead? They tend to use less resources. Or go without and let the people buying it worry about the AV once they get it.

It seems most people having black screen problem was just an issue with windows. I'll try wiping and re-installing. As for Microsoft security essentials I will never be using that again. Had 2 major viruses with that installed. I will try avg, previously I had avira but didn't like all the ads. The reason I installed comodo was someone recommended it for older computers.

MSE - I've been using on many family/friend computers for a few years and haven't run into issues. Understand you worry though. I still think that if you are selling it, let the other user worry about it. It's not like a new computer comes with AV installed (except the trial versions that manufacturers paid to put on there..LOL). Besides, they will likely want to install their own anyway.

Okay, thanks for your input. I was looking at the sticky for custom builds, and saw the cheapest was about 400. But they were both amd based. I personally am not a big fan of amd, as they seem inferior. Do you by chance know of any other custom builds around 400 that are Intel based and still have room for upgrading? Currently running repair will update if I get my processor working..

Those look quite nice, pretty much I'm planning on selling my current PC, and building a custom. There was a sticky post about building customs, and the cheap ones were amd based. Thanks for the link, as I live very close to tiger direct this will be perfect.

Fixed black screen, just did a chkdsk and fix boot and now it works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom