Digital To Film! (Yep, i said that right:)

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I use a Nikon D600 digital camera and I decided I would like to try out film cameras for a good hobby. I have an older Nikon F3 and the metering system on it is not the best (because of the it's age).
I was wondering, if I take a picture with the digital D600 (full 35mm sensor) using the same settings (same ISO settings and same ISO, same shutter speeds, same aperture, and same focal length) would the pictures turn out pretty much the same on the Nikon F3?
Is using my digital SLR a good way to help meter for a film SLR? Or are there other variables that would make it not work as well? Thanks a lot!

I was wondering, if I take a picture with the digital D600 (full 35mm sensor) using the same settings (same ISO settings and same ISO, same shutter speeds, same aperture, and same focal length) would the pictures turn out pretty much the same on the Nikon F3?

Exposure should turn out the same, assuming your shutter is accurate.

Is using my digital SLR a good way to help meter for a film SLR? Or are there other variables that would make it not work as well? Thanks a lot!

It's a terrible way. Just get a proper light meter, or a camera with a working meter. 35mm stuff is dirt cheap nowadays.

I have an iphone light meter which (after my 1st roll was developed) looked much better than the cameras automatic setting (because I used a friends old lens that doesn't Meter the aperture, which I found out the hard way)

One day if I get into film photography more I will get a dedicated light meter, but right now $200 plus is a bit much for a hobby

Get a used one. You don't have to buy brand new.

Edit: http://www.keh.com/ <-- Best website for used camera gear.

if you really don't want to buy anything, the phone meter is your best option. Carrying two cameras is a huge pain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom