Please, someone take the time to help me...

jimbo91

Beta member
Hey, my names jim. Im new to the forum. Currently I have a 13" Macbook Pro, which is 4-5 years old. I'm ready for a new computer. Basically, I bought a GoPro, and I would really like to occasionally edit HD video (my macbook can't handle it) and I want to play the elder scrolls online when it comes out, diablo 3, league of legends, etc… Now, I get a discount on Dell computers through work, so I went online and fake built one. My pricepoint would be between 800 and 1000 dollars. I got an XPS with an i7 processor which they said was 3.9Ghz, it comes with a wired mouse and keyboard, NO MONITOR, windows 8, 1 month trial of microsoft office, 12 months of macafee, 8GB of DDR3 ram which I upgraded to 24GB of DDR3 ram for an extra $360, a 16x cd/dvd burner, a 1TB hard drive which I upgraded to 2TB for an extra $72, an AMD radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 video card which I "upgraded??" to an NVIDEA GEforce GT640 1GB GDDR5 for an extra $72 (I have the option to upgrade one more time to a NVIDEA GEforce GTX660 1.5GB GDDR5 for another extra $192, which IDK anything about, worth it?). Basically after all of the fake building I did the total came to 1,271.99. Now that is a little out of my price range for a PC with no monitor, but idk. If it's really what I need for what I want to do, I'll shell out the extra cash. Basically what do you guys think? You're much more versed in this kind of stuff than I am. For a novice video editor, just wanting to get started, and to have a OK gaming computer, do you think it's overkill? Is there anything I could shed to save some money? They offered 8, 12, 16, and 24 GB of ram which gets more expensive as the size goes up, should I shed some cost there? Do I need a 2TB hard drive? What about the GPU??? What do I do guys???

Hi Jim, welcome to CF.

Summary for others who are willing to help: OP needs input on build list (particularly how to lower the cost)

For OP, please provide:
  • Build list, with links
  • Games that you'd like to play or anticipate playing

Ehh, there really isn't a link anywhere that I can post. it was sort of just assembled on the dell website. Kind of like adding attachments… Just click a bubble. As far as games I will play league of legends, the elder scrolls online when it drops, and maybe rift

Well you don't need more than 8gb of ram for gaming now it is enough I would save up and buy your own graphics card off of newegg and replace it with your own as for the hard drive 1tb should be plenty even for a gamer as for the moniter idk a lot about monitors so you are on your own with that one mate :)

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Well you don't need more than 8gb of ram for gaming now it is enough I would save up and buy your own graphics card off of newegg and replace it with your own as for the hard drive 1tb should be plenty even for a gamer as for the moniter idk a lot about monitors so you are on your own with that one mate :)

Oh and one more thing GET RID OF WINDOWS 8

My pricepoint would be between 800 and 1000 dollars.

i7 processor which they said was 3.9Ghz
it comes with a wired mouse and keyboard
NO MONITOR
windows 8
8GB of DDR3 ram which I upgraded to 24GB of DDR3 ram for an extra $360
a 16x cd/dvd burner
TB hard drive which I upgraded to 2TB for an extra $72
an AMD radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 video card which I "upgraded??" to an NVIDEA GEforce GT640 1GB GDDR5 for an extra $72 (I have the option to upgrade one more time to a NVIDEA GEforce GTX660 1.5GB GDDR5 for another extra $192, which IDK anything about, worth it?)

Basically after all of the fake building I did the total came to 1,271.99. Now that is a little out of my price range for a PC with no monitor, but idk. If it's really what I need for what I want to do, I'll shell out the extra cash. Basically what do you guys think? You're much more versed in this kind of stuff than I am. For a novice video editor, just wanting to get started, and to have a OK gaming computer, do you think it's overkill? Is there anything I could shed to save some money? They offered 8, 12, 16, and 24 GB of ram which gets more expensive as the size goes up, should I shed some cost there? Do I need a 2TB hard drive? What about the GPU??? What do I do guys???

Ok, so I cleaned up your post so that it was easier to read (the easier you make it for us the more likely we are to help - we are a lazy lot ;) ).

First, 8GB of RAM is plenty, 16 would be overkill, 24 is rediculous.

No real reason to upgrade to a 2TB internal drive. I'd go with 1TB and if you run out of room buy an external later on.

I don't know much about video cards, but stick with the one that comes with it and see if it performs at a level you need it to. You can upgrade it later if you need to. Newegg has the 660 for $200.

So dropping those upgrades your down to $760-ish. That leaves room for a monitor.

That's just my opinion and what I would do. You will probably end up upgrading the video card, but it's worth it to see if the one that comes with it does ok. If if you do upgrade the video card to the 660 you're still under $1000. Though that leaves very little room for a monitor. I think the biggest thing hurting your budget is going to 24GB of ram. That's just way overkill.

EDIT:
Oh and see if you can get Win7.

Thank you, jmacavali! :)

About the graphics cards... IMO, HD 7570 and GT640 are not worth it any more. I think you might even have trouble playing some of the 2013 games with these two cards.

GTX 660, however, is a bit of a overkill at this point, but you'll probably be able to play all games released within the next 3-4 years.

Back
Top Bottom