does anyone have a suggestion on what Antivirus i should purchase?

Canuckgame

Beta member
Hey all! i bought a new laptop and the Trial version of Kapersky is over..

i have been unprotected for almost 100 days now, mainly due to lazyness, well now my laptop is starting to freeze ocasionally, and im getting ads popping up on the right side and the bottom of my computer...

so i was about to renew my Kapersky membership and buy the full version online, but before i do so, is this the right thing to do? are there better options?

im not wanting to spend alot of money... im not that great at computers so i would love to have the advice of some of you guys.

any suggestions for a great antivirus, something that will clean up my computer and prevent future attacks, thanks!

thanks alot!

Last edited:
You need to resolve current issues first before buying any anti-virus software. If you are not sure how to do this, a clean re-installation of OS is recommended.

Panda is free and good. Give it a try after you have resolved current issues.

You don't need to purchase any antivirus, There a heap of free ones that are very good like AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials and many more.

I second BK's suggestion. The free alternatives out there are just as good, if not better than any paid software. Personally, I use Avast! Free.

Personally I gave up on the free ones. I have always had faith in ESET antivirus and security software. Ok call me a fanboy.
I got the ESET Smart Security 6 for 3 computer for 1 year for less than $80.00usd. It has a small memory foot print and updates itself when the system is idle so it doesn't interfere with what you're doing. I have used NOD32 and this was the next step up since now I have my own private internet connection.
I have put this program's feet to the fire more than once by opening dubious email just to see what it would do. Caught every stinking little thing the mail was trying to throw at me.
I think it's worth the money.

^^ I agree with Seti. I'll put MSE on the ones I really don't care about, but i've found NOD32 (ESET) runs faster and with less than MSE and everything else I've run in the past. My subscription on that is just about to expire and I'll be renewing it.

Personally I have been using AVG and AVAST (both free) for the last few years...

They are both superb. Don't bother wasting money on anti virus software...

Agreed with Seti and celegorm, free ones for throwaway machines (e.g. something only used for gaming and has no personal information on it) which you can reinstall painlessly if you need to. I used ESET/NOD32 years ago when windows was my (aka the families) main OS and found it excellent, very configurable too.

ok hey guys sorry i was away for a bit, my computer is REALLY having issues! i have ads popping up everywhere, my computer is running slower and it freezes for 2 mins at a time here and there.

what can i do to get rid of it?

and then could someone link me to a decent free antivirus, i was willing to pay for one, but now it seems you guys say the free ones are ok too.

i will pay someone 5.00$ paypal if someone can help cure the problems on my computer, i really want this fixed, its a new computer and my girlfriend is pissed off hahahaha.

Back
Top Bottom