Upgrading RAM and Graphics card

Maxwell1

Solid State Member
Hello everybody :).

Iv just registered and this is my first post cause i need some advice on upgrading my PC. Iv read some other stuff but just wanted to make sure before i spend all my moneys.

Ok so i want to upgrade both my RAM and graphics card. At the moment i have 4Gb of DDR3 RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 card. Also the motherboard has a PCI Express slot.

I read that i could use either a DDR3 or DDR5 graphics card and they should both work fine as long as its a PCI express card, is this right? Cause pretty much all the graphics cards iv looked at are DDR5.

Also i want to upgrade my RAM to 8Gb, to do this i would probably take out the two 2Gb ones that are in there and replace them with 2 4Gb ones. Am i correct in thinking this is the best way to do it because the older ones could hold back performance?

Lastly could i use either DDR3 or DDR5 RAM, or only DDR3? If i could use either, would it be better to get DDR5 because ill be getting a DDR5 graphics card also?

Sorry for so many questions in one post :eek:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Max

From what I know, it seems like DDR5 ram is not really made yet..? Ive made some research and saw only DD3. Also what I see is that GDDR5 is based off of DDR3 ram.

Also from what you said about upgrading your ram from 4 to 8. Yeah, just take the two 2gb sticks and replace them. But sometimes it may usually depend on your mobo as well. Just make sure that the ram sticks are compatible with your mobo.

Just make sure that your ram can keep up with your graphics, what you doing or looking at, should most likely be fine.

I may be wrong in some of these, please correct me if I am.

I read that i could use either a DDR3 or DDR5 graphics card and they should both work fine as long as its a PCI express card, is this right? Cause pretty much all the graphics cards iv looked at are DDR5.

What motherboard do you have? What size power supply do you have?

Also i want to upgrade my RAM to 8Gb, to do this i would probably take out the two 2Gb ones that are in there and replace them with 2 4Gb ones. Am i correct in thinking this is the best way to do it because the older ones could hold back performance?

What version of Windows do you have? Is it 32 or 64 bit? How much does your motherboard support?

Lastly could i use either DDR3 or DDR5 RAM, or only DDR3? If i could use either, would it be better to get DDR5 because ill be getting a DDR5 graphics card also?

There is no such thing as ddr5 ram for pcs. The kind you need will depend on your motherboard. It's likely either ddr2 or ddr3 depending on the age.

Thanks for both of the replys.

I bought the Acer predator G5900 a couple years ago and its still as standard.

So i think its a Acer Predator G5900 motherboard with a Intel H57 chipset if that helps?

Also that Crucial CPU program tells me my memory type is DDR3 so as there is no DDR5 RAM i guess ill be getting DDR3 RAM :).

Finally im using Windows 7 64bit. Im not sure of the power supply, its the same one that came with the PC. One website tells me the peak power consumption of the PC is 147W so i assume its enough to cope with that. Id upgrade the power supply also if need be.

Thanks,
Max

just to be sure of things, download CPU-Z to get all the details of your pc, and as well as

run DXDIAG for details as well

Back
Top Bottom