Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

I FOUND IT!!!! It supports the Core 2 Duo!!!! But not the quad :'(

What exact Make and Model of Motherboard is it though?

Unless you are 100% confident that you know it will take a Core 2 Duo then fine. Just thinking it may be wise to let someone else double check for you :)

Yeah! I was look up the wrong gateway number... Oh, and now I can fit a double slot video card :D. 650 Ti here I come! I think I'm gonna stick with the 915 and overclock it.... I've heard 3.4 GHz is normal for this CPU

I doubt you would be able to overclock any CPU on it. It's still an OEM board which don't usually have any overclocking capabilities.

So, if you already have a CPU. Stick with it i would say. You really don't want to waste anymore money on several year old technology. And putting a 650 Ti would be bottlenecked no matter what CPU you could get in there.

Basically even a Quad core these days isn't enough for the higher end graphics cards. I went from a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz with the same GTX 560 i have now. And that would hold the graphics card back very much. Now with my i7 @ 3.4GHz my graphics card is left behind.

It's not the speed of the CPU matters so much, but the architecture.

Last edited:
I doubt you would be able to overclock any CPU on it. It's still an OEM board which don't usually have any overclocking capabilities.

So, if you already have a CPU. Stick with it i would say. You really don't want to waste anymore money on several year old technology. And putting a 650 Ti would be bottlenecked no matter what CPU you could get in there.

Basically even a Quad core these days isn't enough for the higher end graphics cards. I went from a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz with the same GTX 560 i have now. And that would hold the graphics card back very much. Now with my i7 @ 3.4GHz my graphics card is left behind.

It's not the speed of the CPU matters so much, but the architecture.

What about instead of putting on the highest setting possible, what about medium settings? Still a bottleneck?

I give up... Lol

Only kidding ;)

Like i said in my previous post that my old Q6600 @ 3.2GHz bottlenecked my GTX560. But then again it all depends on which games are played. Due to some being CPU intensive and others being GPU intensive. Others like a balance. Its down to the game really.

Now considering you can only run a Core 2 Duo you a limited by the all important older architecture and of course two less physical cores (not that many games use more than two cores even these days) but it is older tech.

I'd have to say at this point, go with what you have. Even get that GTX650 if you want because of course there is no doubt that it'll work and you'll be able to use it in a better/upgraded system later down the line. :D

Last edited:
Me thinks you are trolling.

Me thinks you have a big problem.... Anyways, what about if I bought a low profile 520 or 530? Would it still bottleneck at that point? I just want to spend the least amount of money possible! I think I might make a CPU trade with the IT at school :D Hey Taylorig, if you were with me here right now, I'd seriously see what I couldn't do about returning for what you've done for me :) Thanks dude!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom