PC Sales

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
As a result of tablets and Win8 being pushed onto non-touch screen pcs, sales fall nearly 14% in the first quarter of 2013.

"At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market," said Bob O'Donnell, IDC Program Vice President, Clients and Displays. "While some consumers appreciate the new form factors and touch capabilities of Windows 8, the radical changes to the UI, removal of the familiar Start button, and the costs associated with touch have made PCs a less attractive alternative to dedicated tablets and other competitive devices. Microsoft will have to make some very tough decisions moving forward if it wants to help reinvigorate the PC market."

PC Shipments Post the Steepest Decline Ever in a Single Quarter, According to IDC - prUS24065413

Yeah I was reading that.
This shows how much power M$ has on the hardware market as well as the software market. Every time M$ comes out with a radically new OS the vendors like Nvidia have to write new drivers that are compatible with the new OS.
IMHO win8 is the lazy man's OS. Touch this and app that. Hard to get a handle on and meant for smaller devices.
Shoot I'm even seeing clones of the GUI on cell phones. That's making me hesitate to get a new phone.

I'm thinking maybe just maybe there might be a turn to Linux based OS's in the PC future if M$ doesn't do the right thing and do a release of a PC version of win8.

Tablets and such are becoming very powerful. I have half of my books on my phone, I have engineering apps on my phone for milling, welding, force/moment diagrams, linkages to model suspension. Half of my projects can be done on the go with my phone now, with just the details hashed out on a computer. I love it. Soon we will see much more of the laptop/tablet combinations, and desktops will slowly fade out I think. Having docking stations makes more sense if the Laptop has the power.

We're losing sight of those with vision and mobility restrictions. A small device like a tablet or a cell phone wouldn't always work for them. A well laid out keyboard with a large screen is more in line.

Where as the young people of today want it smaller, faster, and more mobile. There are those who need to stay with old school.
And there's a lot more of them than you think.

Let's welcome our new generation of dumbed down tablet user who are doomed to live in their walled gardens.

Some people use their phone/tablet exclusively for internet access and such. I don't even like touch screens myself. I like my desktops still. A nice large 24" screen, extended to 3 displays. Lots of screen space. Even a laptop has more screen space than tablets and definitely phones. I like building/fixing desktops, lots of case space and they all come apart generally the same. Not so for laptops, tablets, or phones. Windows 7 was by far and away the best OS by MS IMO. I know the major difference between 7 and 8 is the new "start menu" but that makes it just completely unusable.

There's too many people still using XP, many having only ever used XP, and when they decide to upgrade finally they get a Windows 8 computer and have to relearn everything all over again... I can figure out some programs and OSes fairly quickly, and it took me quite awhile to figure out how to get Windows 8 to do stuff I could do in 7 in two seconds. And the main reason is because of that stupid start menu.

My uncle asked me advice on what to buy computer wise for my grandma (shes in her early 80's) awhile back when Windows 8 had been out for about a month. I told him I could build her a decent desktop with Windows 7 and I emphasized not to get Windows 8. A month later I hear he got her a laptop with Windows 8... :facepalm: She doesn't like Windows 8 and she has no need for a laptop.

We're losing sight of those with vision and mobility restrictions. A small device like a tablet or a cell phone wouldn't always work for them. A well laid out keyboard with a large screen is more in line.

Where as the young people of today want it smaller, faster, and more mobile. There are those who need to stay with old school.
And there's a lot more of them than you think.
That's why I said docking station. You still have the big monitors, keyboards, all that. Without the desktop. You could if you wanted, just grab your laptop and go.

Win95, Win2k, WinXP, Win7 imho were the intended milestone OS'es, anything in between was to generate money to produce one of those. Windows 8 just smells like Win98/ME/Vista to me, I'm going to pass until 9 or 10 come out. I only started using 7 about a year and a half ago. You learn how to make your OS as secure as you can and then you are forced to upgrade to one that no one knows squat about.

A month later I hear he got her a laptop with Windows 8... :facepalm: She doesn't like Windows 8 and she has no need for a laptop.

before you smash your palm into your face too hard and gloat about how much more clever you are than him...

you can't buy windows 7 OEM from highstreet shops any more, MS recalled remaining copies when they released windows 8, in the UK places like PC world, currys etc don't have it on the shelves any more, the same will be tru of the large US outlets.
in addition it's been half a year since windows 8 was released, (and you can't buy a boxed edition of windows 7 except in small shops or amazon) it's becoming more and more difficult to find windows 7 pre-installed.

also, put the laptop on a desk, now it's just a screen with a keyboard underneath it, much like a desktop machine...

but wait, it gets better, instead of being restricted to using the machine in say the study, she can now take the machine to the lounge, or the dining room, or read something in bed, or have it on the kitchen with a recipe on it...

Well to be honest I think it's going to go up soon, well I'm 15 and all my friends are at school and everyone I know when they get a job (a real job) they are going to buy a gaming pc now this is everyone I know at my school like over 100 people so I don't t think desktops are going to go out of fashion too soon

Back
Top Bottom