08 MacBook screen backlight won't stay on.

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
I'm looking at an 08 MBP for someone and it's acting kind of acting like its lid switch is malfunctioning. Being a NotAMacGuy, I don't know if the thing even has a lid switch. The lid seems to be magnetized.

While it's on, if you close the lid, it goes to sleep. When you open the lid, the CD drive makes a noise and the backlight will come on for some amount of time...from a fraction of a second to a min or 2. I can see the thing is still on and working, the backlight is just off.

Anyone have any experience with these things?

Any help appreciated!!

Ye, lots, but never a mac, it's the inverter in the laptop, be sure to get the correct one, these are easily replaced on your own, just find a youtube guide for your laptop and follow the video.

P.S, Try get the part on ebay, most online retailers expect you to chop your arm and leg off for the price they charge for a inverter, which are made at about £1 each, rip offs

Last edited:
Ye, lots, but never a mac, it's the inverter in the laptop, be sure to get the correct one, these are easily replaced on your own, just find a youtube guide for your laptop and follow the video.

P.S, Try get the part on ebay, most online retailers expect you to chop your arm and leg off for the price they charge for a inverter, which are made at about £1 each, rip offs

Sweet. I'll check into it. Thanks.

I don't know if mac has this but on my HP G7 when you change the power setting to balanced or low power it dims the back lighting. Mac may have some thing similar. Not sure. Worth looking in to though.

I don't think it's anything like that. The backlight turns completely off...

So. Got a new inverter. Still does the same thing. What else could it be? Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom