Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys! I have a problem..... I'm getting a Gateway GT5040 from my girlfriend's dad for building their current computer, and I was wondering.... The motherboard in that slow mother will only support a handful of CPUs.... Now, I want to put an UNSUPPORTED CPU in my motherboard, now how can this be done? The CPUs supported are all Celeron D, Pentium 4, and Pentium D (can be dual core)... I want to put either an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, or an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5800

If the CPU is unsupported it won't work and that's why it's like that, The best CPU would be the pentium dual core or you can look for a new motherboard that is compatible and will fit the case so that you can put the CPU in you want.

If the CPU is unsupported it won't work and that's why it's like that, The best CPU would be the pentium dual core or you can look for a new motherboard that is compatible and will fit the case so that you can put the CPU in you want.

Are you completely sure? I read that if the TDB and FSB match up, then I could run a bios update and it would work... And, I don't know for sure if the Pentium Dual Core is supported.... I know for sure a Pentium D Dual Core is though :/

Last edited:
All right, listen to this... The motherboard can support up to 95W on the CPU, and FSB of 1066! The Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 runs 65W and 1066 FSB! Will this work with a bios update?!

The Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 is LGA 775.... The Motherboard is an LGA 775 is well.... I've done my homework

Just because its an LGA 775 doesn't mean it will be completely compatible and other members will tell you that, If the CPU is LGA 775 and is not compatible with that motherboard you will land yourself in hot water and possibly kill the CPU and motherboard if you attempt to try it..

Just because its an LGA 775 doesn't mean it will be completely compatible and other members will tell you that, If the CPU is LGA 775 and is not compatible with that motherboard you will land yourself in hot water and possibly kill the CPU and motherboard if you attempt to try it..

You act like I'm stupid.... I said earlier "I'm pretty sure if the FSB and TDB match up than the CPU can run on the motherboard with a bios update"

You act like I'm stupid.... I said earlier "I'm pretty sure if the FSB and TDB match up than the CPU can run on the motherboard with a bios update"

It might work. It might not. Usually a CPU is unsuppported for a reason such as having different power requirements, which a BIOS update might not fix.

Back
Top Bottom