Intuitively Understanding the Development Process of a Kernel

GEKKACAMEO

Baseband Member
So every third computer noob wants to develop their own os an become some sort of tycoon. I am not one of these people.

I'm the guy that love's the thrill of the hunt for information. That being said I would like for my hunt to yield the highest possible return on the motivating information gathered.

I want to create a curriculum for myself. That curriculum is what I need help with. Like in most learning structures (i.e. schools, universities, companies) the curriculum should be geared to a sort of completion (degree, certificate). The "completion" I am looking for will remain ever-changing but the result will still be the same - Intuitive understanding of kernel development.

I want to see a discrete list of topics to master that will most decisively get me to my goal. It would be ideal if the topics were arranged in ascending difficulty. Act like you're writing this up for a child.

So you're saying I should google my question? This is helpful. I should hit you with some thanks...cursed thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

Seriously. Some projects that I could get into would really help.

By kernel development, do you mean development of an existing kernel (such as the Linux kernel) or creation of a new kernel from scratch? How much programming experience do you have already?

Intuitive understanding of kernel development.

you'll only learn "an intuitive understanding" by doing.

I suggest that you get a junk system that you;re happy to spend some time developing a kernel for.

or you look at something like the respberry pi where there are plenty of tutorials available for running code on bare metal, that you'd then use to run other code.

Great response. Anyone can say they want to be an expert on something but blindly stabbing forward into Google search after Google search won't get me where I need to be. The starting point is great root. I really appreciate it.

I've got an arduino uno and I am going to make an effort to really focus on it. This is going to be a lot of Java basically I'm assuming. I feel like I'm going to have to do some assembly (programming language) at some point if I really want to get my hands dirty.

I've got an arduino uno and I am going to make an effort to really focus on it. This is going to be a lot of Java basically I'm assuming.
Eh? You don't program Arduinos in Java...

Eh? You don't program Arduinos in Java...

I think I might understand where the google searches are going wrong...

try searching for assembler or low level languages like C and kernel programming.
I suppose that you could write a kernel for an arduino.

then you'd have a kernel for an 8bit processor, with limited amounts of RAM.

personally, I'd recommend the raspberry pi. it's a modern architecture, it's 32 bit, it's got more RAM, it's easier to interface with, (just write to an SD card, put it in and reset) and it costs less than a branded Arduino...

Back
Top Bottom