Best LGA 775 socket CPU

That POJ is an oldy moldy blast from the past. Why are you wasting good money on a board that was obsolete before you were born?

That POJ is an oldy moldy blast from the past. Why are you wasting good money on a board that was obsolete before you were born?

1) Look at the link above with the Gateway Mobo
2) I'm getting the ENTIRE computer from my girlfriend's dad
3) I'm TRYING to spend as LEAST amount of money as I can! I'm wanting to buy a handgun, so a low cost computer would be great

Well that rules out the Q6600, I think the earliest intel chipset to support the Quads was the 965 and as this board is 945 you are pretty limited in your choice of CPUs.

Oh, and if the Extreme isn't good for gaming, what would be the best CPU under the given guidelines of the Mobo?

Not sure on the CPU.

But the one thing that does look dodgy is where the ATX plug is in adjacent to the PCI-E port. It would have to be a single slot GPU in my opinion. And i wouldn't go for anything to high spec anyway as that Pentium D (Extreme or not) will bottle-neck most GPU's.

I notice the motherboard is back to front like it is in my Wife's Dell machine. So once fitted in to the case there would be no room for a double sized graphics card anyway. The wife's is a Pentium D as well (Can't remember exact model) but it's at 3GHz with a Nvidia 9500GT which actually runs Counter Strike Source at a pretty stable 80-100 FPS.

Not sure on the CPU.

But the one thing that does look dodgy is where the ATX plug is in adjacent to the PCI-E port. It would have to be a single slot GPU in my opinion. And i wouldn't go for anything to high spec anyway as that Pentium D (Extreme or not) will bottle-neck most GPU's.

I notice the motherboard is back to front like it is in my Wife's Dell machine. So once fitted in to the case there would be no room for a double sized graphics card anyway. The wife's is a Pentium D as well (Can't remember exact model) but it's at 3GHz with a Nvidia 9500GT which actually runs Counter Strike Source at a pretty stable 80-100 FPS.

I'm thinking putting the MOBO in a bigger case that I have at home in my little "Shop". So, should I go with a Pentium Dual Core? And if I keep it in the case, it won't be a problem because I'm thinking of getting the GTX 640 in a Single slot.... It actually runs better than the 450!

Last edited:
I'm thinking putting the MOBO in a bigger case that I have at home in my little "Shop". So, should I go with a Pentium Dual Core? And if I keep it in the case, it won't be a problem because I'm thinking of getting the GTX 640 in a Single slot.... It actually runs better than the 450!

Ahhh good to know you have a spare case to put it in. And on about the CPU. Pentium D's are slightly better than the bog standard P4's but at the cost of more voltage and then more heat of course. Personally i'd just go with a 3GHz Pentium D (No point wasting to much on that system as you're fully aware of. And you also mentioned spending the least amount on it already).

And on about the GTX640. Yes it should run in there fine but as i said before the CPU will bottleneck it. To be honest it shouldn't be to bad and if you can get the GTX640 cheap enough, then why not! :)

Last edited:
Ahhh good to know you have a spare case to put it in. And on about the CPU. Pentium D's are slightly better than the bog standard P4's but at the cost of more voltage and then more heat of course. Personally i'd just go with a 3GHz Pentium D (No point wasting to much on that system as you're fully aware of. And you also mentioned spending the least amount on it already).

And on about the GTX640. Yes it should run in there fine but as i said before the CPU will bottleneck it. To be honest it shouldn't be to bad and if you can get the GTX640 cheap enough, then why not! :)

Problem, the GTX 640 is 3.0 x 16.... UGH! My big promblem is the power plug like you said.... What can I do?

Problem, the GTX 640 is 3.0 x 16.... UGH! My big problem is the power plug like you said.... What can I do?

Well Version 3.0 is usually backward compatible so it should work in a 2.0 slot. That shouldn't be a problem. And in regards to the ATX socket that shouldn't be a problem either so long as the Graphics card is only a single slot card. You have to take in to account that with these back to front motherboards the card will also be the opposite way up than in a normal system (Fan of the graphics card upwards, instead of downwards)

Like i said my Wife's takes a single slot 9500GT without a problem. The only difference being is that her motherboards ATX socket is away from the PCI-E port. But with your board they must of taken in to account that someone would want to put a Graphics card in there otherwise they wouldn't have put a PCI-E slot on there in the first place.

I'd be tempted to try another card in there to make sure if you have one spare. Or you know someone that has one you could try.

By the way. Which exact GTX 640 do you have in mind?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom