I wanna get into programming

Evreyone who disagree listen C sharp do not gonna help him because Microsoft took over him and you right it's gonna help him in the industrial but it's taking a lot of work to get in there and btw I don't like to work my butt of for some job that you can lose if someone better then you comes to work so.... Choose whatever you want to.

I don't usually moan about the standard of English on forums because I'm aware it's not everyone's first language - but this is really getting rather hard to understand!

I *think* you're saying that C# will help in industry but those jobs tend to be unstable, which is again untrue - I don't see any figures even hinting that C# programming jobs are less stable than jobs with other languages. Because it's got such a wide user base, if anything I'd imagine the opposite is true.

I'm not saying C# is the best language to learn as a beginner, but if you're going to say it's not a good one to learn then you need to give solid reasons as to why!

I think that the best for you is to start with c because its kind of base for a lot of programming languages and then go to what you are getting interested more like if you want web then learn HTML,php try to track worms things like that if you should like to make programs try c,c++ and to my opinion you shouldn't learn C sharp its not gonna help this language is starting to low profile , oh and if you whould like to program hardware I really suggest to learn c arduino I'm starting to like it oh and there is pyton that will help with brain waves and stuff and there is a lot more language so learn whatever you like : )
if you want to learn to program hardware....

learning arduino C would be silly, it's a one trick pony, specific to a handful of chips from the worlds smallest chip producer.

If you want to learn to program chips, then just learn basic ANSI C as a start, then once you've tried a few compilers you can settle on what extensions for specific chips you want to use.

Thing is you want to program hardware, but you can only program hardware that someone else already programmed a boot loader onto for you.

learn proper C and you can compile your programs and load them with a in circuit serial programmer that's going to be cheaper than buying just 1 arduino, and more flexible.

starting out by reviewing some example programs, and changing some bits and seeing how it all works is a good place to start. but the thing that gets me about arduino C is...

earlier in this thread (or it might have been another) berry pointed out that those who say, I'll learn VB, then I'll learn C# then I'll learn Java, then when I outgrow that I'll learn xyz... are wrong. it's practically impossible to "outgrow" most modern languages, give or take, most languages are going to either do, or have libraries to do what you want.

but arduino C is different, it's going to be easy to outgrow this, the first time you need more ports, more timers more interrupts than the mega provides.

Last edited:
but arduino C is different, it's going to be easy to outgrow this, the first time you need more ports, more timers more interrupts than the mega provides.

I agree if you just use the built in functions - but isn't Arduino C basically C++ with a wrapper library around it? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? I was sure I'd used a C++ library with Arduino before, but I may have been mistaken...

I agree if you just use the built in functions - but isn't Arduino C basically C++ with a wrapper library around it? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? I was sure I'd used a C++ library with Arduino before, but I may have been mistaken...
Yes and no.

in essence, yes it is a lot like C++ with a wrapper, but that wrapper adds some new things that are non standard and won't work on other platforms.

then there are a ton of arduino libraries that are also non standard.

I guess the analogy would be a java like language limited to only running on ubuntu, that adds a bunch of functions as if they are out of the box.

The second you try to do something on another platform it's going to be much like learning something new all over again.

Basically, if you have a specific project in mind, I want to do this, or that, or my thing needs this added function then arduino is a great thing.
but for learning as a language as an entrance point to embedded programming it's not so great.

Yes and no.

in essence, yes it is a lot like C++ with a wrapper, but that wrapper adds some new things that are non standard and won't work on other platforms.

then there are a ton of arduino libraries that are also non standard.

I guess the analogy would be a java like language limited to only running on ubuntu, that adds a bunch of functions as if they are out of the box.

The second you try to do something on another platform it's going to be much like learning something new all over again.

Basically, if you have a specific project in mind, I want to do this, or that, or my thing needs this added function then arduino is a great thing.
but for learning as a language as an entrance point to embedded programming it's not so great.

Ah, fair play - wasn't aware of this. I've got a couple of cheap Arduino copies and use it for odd projects because it's easy to get something going incredibly quickly, but wouldn't necessarily use it for anything big (may still use the Atmel chips, but without the Arduino bootloader.)

Tcc (tiny c compiler) will happily compile c++.

If you're using Linux gcc is free, if you are really hardcore and use unix then cc is like gcc...

I certainly wouldn't pay for visual studio for c++, there are plenty of other IDE and compilers. (I hear good thinks about bloodshed but never tried it).

Back
Top Bottom