Won't POST - Intermittent

DrGlove

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I've got a problem that I'm having a hard time diagnosing.

I have a computer that won't POST. No motherboard beeps. This has only happened twice; once 3 months ago and today. The computer is nearing 3 years old.

Now for the tricky part: the computer POSTs fine immediately if I unplug the harddrive power cable, which leads me to think it is the harddrive. However, if I replug in the power and SATA to the HDD after a successful boot, the computer will also boot with no problems at all.

Intermittent problems like this always make me think the PSU has gone bad (a Seasonic 400W SS-400ET). Is it also possible the SATA controller has gone on the motherboard? I am having trouble diagnosing this problem at all since after trying my little fix, I cannot reproduce the error, and I did not have the foresight to tinker with it while it was down.

Help (and cheers)!

A little more info has come to light (and been remembered).

Apparently the first set of problems happened shortly after a set of power outages. Not sure if that points the problem in one direction or the other.
The drive is a 500GB WD Blue. SMART status is passed and the quick diagnostics in the WD diagnostic tool (Data LifeGuard) all pass.

Well my money would either be on the PSU or the HDD to begin with. Happily they are both vheap as chips nowasays and most people that have popped a pc open have spares.

I would start with the PSU first.

Well my money would either be on the PSU or the HDD to begin with. Happily they are both vheap as chips nowasays and most people that have popped a pc open have spares.

I would start with the PSU first.

My thoughts exactly, although this is time critical and I won't be able to come back if it goes up again so I simply popped in a new PSU and HDD just to be safe. Still, I'm curious which component it was.

Back
Top Bottom