Transferring files from one HDD to another and changing the OS

CBJ023

Baseband Member
OK! So I'll be running Windows XP on a old harddrive until I can afford a new one and Windows 7. So when I transfer all my files over to the new harddrive do I just not include system 32? Is that the whole OS or are there other folders/files built into XP? Also where would I go to transfer all the files minus the OS to 2 32GB flash drives? Thanks!

The steps are roughly:
  • Reinstall OS on the new drive (in this case, the old HDD)
  • Reinstall software that you need on the new drive
  • Move files (e.g., documents) to the new drive

You cannot install the OS on the new drive by simple copy-pasting.

You would first backup all your files, Then wipe the hard drive (optional) and then install windows 7 & software after the installation has complete, But if you wanted there programs that allow you make your own custom version of windows 7 by putting in the programs in you want and it will install them when windows is, Welcome to RT Se7en Lite - Slipstream Service Pack,Integrate Updates,Integrate Drivers,Integrate LP,Remove Components,Enable or Disable features,Unattended Setup,Apply Tweaks,Add Icons,Wallpapers,Themes,Bootable USB or DVD

I'm just looking to transfer files, like google chrome, game saves, etc. not the actual OS, I want to make sure I can just transfer the files onto a flashdrive tehn install then on the new HDD so all the drivers and such for the computer will be installed.

Google Chrome is your software. You will have to reinstall it. You cannot just transfer the files under Program Files, for example, and expect it to work.

You game saves, however, can be transferred directly and work as is. (Once the game is properly reinstalled, of course.)

You might want to determine what needs to be reinstalled first.

Back
Top Bottom