What is wrong?

NicerookiE

Beta member
About 2 weeks ago, My brother was on the Computer, I wanted a go so we fighted about it, doing this he knocked his arm and knocked over a half full can of Tango. It spilled over onto a hole on top of the computer
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/$(KGrHqJ,!hYFDuI+SbptBRC!m-jf9Q~~48_79.JPG

That is a picture of my computer, There are 4 Holes plus an open hole leading into the computer, The drink fell into all of them, I tested them and they all worked fine. But this is what happened after, I got scared and turned off my cmputer and restarted it, upon choosing Start Windows Normaly, Itw as fine then i clicked on my account and logged in, After the Welcome screen, the screen changed into a blue flickery screen, You cant see nothing but a blue flickery screen. i restarted the computer and tried again another 2 tries, I gave up with no hope and went into safe mode, then it worked fine, But then i tried to go onto some of my games and on some they would just go straight off and some they would say that the graphics card was too low of a standered, But i have a Nvidia Geforce 6800GTX so i know it works, After this i went into my computer, I found out that the drink fell onto the graphics card and i wiped it with a cloth gently and no hope, I was looking to get a new graphics card but i wanted to be sure before spending money on a new graphics card.

I am sure to answer questions if needed. I want to know if i should get a new graphics card or not.

it would make sense to because the holes look to me intact with the graphics card, if it drips down their the graphics card will pick up the drips because of where the g'card faces flat up.

I would aim for trying the on-bored gpu first.

well that was unfortunate. What CPU does you computer have?
if it's something old (which i think it is by the fact that you own a 6800gtx) it's not gonna benefit much from a new graphic card anyway due to bottlenecking.

I am new to this, Computer Building stuff but i know a good share of things

1) What is an Onboard GPU?

2) And my CPU is AMD Athlon 4000+ 2.4GHz
If that is what you meant by CPU

1) What is an Onboard GPU?

An onboard GPU is a GPU located on the motherboard or the CPU it self.
some older motherboards has it's own GPU, so that you don't need a Graphic card in order to get something visual on the screen.
today we use an inbuilt GPU on the CPU. it's not common for a motherboard to have a onboard GPU today, but almost all Core I3/I5/I7 has a GPU in it.

2) And my CPU is AMD Athlon 4000+ 2.4GHz
If that is what you meant by CPU

yes it is.
unfortunately i'll not recommend getting a new graphic card before you upgrade you computer.
that CPU will bottleneck something like a 660TI.

I wouldn't go for a £250 graphics card, I doubt it would be any good, his system is to old for the newer end cards, so I would suggest something that matches your old one, maybe a little upgrade won't hurt, yes bottleneck but that's pretty much out the question for that g'card as it won't even fit inside his system, I think he's using AGP still.

The new cpu's with graphics are called APU, so if you want a whole new machine be sure to look for the APU, it really depends if you're a gamer, I wouldn't worry if you barely game, just go for the same g'card or a little upgrade.

If you're a gamer, you'll want a whole new system with a g'card.

Do you know what motherbored you have, please find out and we can match you a GPU.

Last edited:
The system is no good.... The GPU is shot, and its PCI slot is fried too probably! A new motherboard, CPU (if your current CPU won't fit the socket on the new graphics card) and graphics card. For the graphics card, if you don't want that integrated junk (yes they are P.O.J.), go with an nVidia GTS 450, 550, or 650.

Back
Top Bottom