Random Chit Chat

Basically, a nerve in the wrist gets compressed from being held at an angle. This causes pain and numbness in the hand and wrist.

Ouch! Gezz sorry to hear that.

482868_230022773803051_665814917_n.jpg
<-- I could not help myself, I am one die hard Pokemon fan.

Whilst we are currently on the topic of medical conditions and such I thought I'd share something interesting with all, About a year ago I was diagnosed with something called IDIC 15Q, It's something to with chromosomes Chromosome 15 duplications, When my eldest brother passed away back in November 2005 we were told that we would need to go to Melbourne interstate to have heart testing done they believe my brother had an arrhythmia, We went every 2-3 up years until February 2011 that we were told would get the tests done down here in Tasmania. Majority of my family had bloods taken and used my brothers last bit of DNA in storage. A few months later after meeting with the geneticist we were told that Me, my younger sister and Mum carried this duplication, It now means that I have a higher risk of sudden death, If I have kids they may get it but the girls are at more risk than boys.

Wow, that sucks. Genetic problems are the worst. My family carries the BRCA2 mutation, which is also pretty horrible. My doctor said that women with it have a ~75% chance of developing breast cancer in their lifetime. Pretty much all the women on my mother's side of the family have had breast cancer, so I don't doubt that number. I had the test maybe two years ago, and it seems I got lucky and it skipped me.

If you've heard of this gene before, it's because it's the one involved in the Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics case, which concerns the patenting of DNA sequences. I've been following this one for a while now, but it was pretty heavily reported in the media some time back, so some people here may be somewhat familiar with it.

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks. Genetic problems are the worst. My family carries the BRCA2 mutation, which is also pretty horrible. My doctor said that women with it have a ~75% chance of developing breast cancer in their lifetime. Pretty much all the women on my mother's side of the family have had breast cancer, so I don't doubt that number. I had the test maybe two years ago, and it seems I got lucky and it skipped me.

If you've heard of this gene before, it's because it's the one involved in the Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics case, which concerns the patenting of DNA sequences. I've been following this one for a while now, but it was pretty heavily reported in the media some time back, so some people here may be somewhat familiar with it.

That sucks too, At least it gives you answers.

Back
Top Bottom