Broken power supply?

majinvegito123

Beta member
Hey guys, today I come to you with a very serious problem. You see, I made an idiotic error after installing my motherboard fully. I turned the computer on and everything worked real well. However, I forgot to screw a part in to the case so I went to do so. It was a metal plate that controls the cathodes. Anyway as I was installing it it touched the motherboard and all of a sudden everything shut off completely. There is no longer any activity coming from the motherboard or the power supply at all. I am simply no longer getting any power.

So my question is did I short the motherboard or did I short the power supply? I ask because I thought if the motherboard was receiving any power it could still show some activity LEDs like the start led. It has nothing showing as if the power is unplugged. Please help me

If there is no response when connected to the motherboard and the PSU turns on after doing the paperclip, then yeah I think you have killed your board. You might want to check your PSU voltages just in case you have damaged it too. No point in ordering a new board and then realizing your PSU has gone belly up also.

Have you tried and out of case setup as a last resort?

Would it give power to the motherboard if I simply plugged in the power connectors? I didn't bother to plug everything in out of case because I figured that if the motherboard worked the led lights would turn on at least when I switched the power on. However, nothing happened. Also there are no visible burn marks on the motherboard anywhere. There are no signs of damage anywhere in fact. It's very baffling to me..

Would it give power to the motherboard if I simply plugged in the power connectors? I didn't bother to plug everything in out of case because I figured that if the motherboard worked the led lights would turn on at least when I switched the power on. However, nothing happened. Also there are no visible burn marks on the motherboard anywhere. There are no signs of damage anywhere in fact. It's very baffling to me..

Yeah definitely take everything out of the case and set it up on a piece of cardboard. It could be as simple as another screw in your case causing the short, a lot of Mobo's will shut off power to important components when a short occurs somewhere else, you might just get lucky, fingers crossed.

You have to have the AUX connector power or the board doesn't fire up. If you have the board out and want to power it up, you have to have both AUX and the main power connected.
I sure hope it just did a self preservation shut down. If that metal piece was on the high voltage end of the inverter you may well have cooked the board.
Not meaning to pour salt in a wound, but you never ever work on a system with the power on it. Shut down, unplug, give the caps time to drain, then do what you have to do. Never on a live system.

Back
Top Bottom