Windows will no longer install.

Out of curiosity if you have a spare hard drive put it in and see if you can load windows on it.

I have a total of 4 drives in the machine. 2 60gb SSDs and 2 HDDs, 1 1tb and 1 500gb. The installer runs INCREDIBLY slow even when there are no drives hooked up to it at all. I believe it's the motherboard.

The machine is TECHNICALLY back up and running again but it's running VERY slowly. My Windows Experience score for main hard disk has even dropped...

You're sure the W7 ISO isn't jacked?
You have tried installing on a SATA drive rather than SSDs in a raid? (SSDs+raid=bad because of garbage collecting when I looked at it 6 months - a year ago... could be different by now)

You have put W7 on a jump drive with the Windows tool and tried to install from that?

Microsoft Store Online

It's strange that your computer is also going slow after the install. I would be leaning toward that hard drives here. I would unplug every HDD but one of the SATA drives. In fact, with everything you tried I would just put W7 on a jump drive, unplug everything but one stick of ram and one HDD and give that a shot.

After the HDD I would, like you, move to the MoBo. It most cases this would be extreme, but it would be my next move. Two weeks without PS2? Send back the mobo ;)

Something like this has happened to me in the past, now that I think about it. It gave sort of a physical memory dump effect. The drive starts kinda slow, then gets slower, and eventually crashes. Tested the mobo, replaced the hdd... only to (eventually) find that replacing the SATA cable fixed it. Such a strange effect for a SATA cable to give. Especially when restarting the computer enabled the computer to function like normal again. Only to slow down and crash...

Last edited:
You're sure the W7 ISO isn't jacked?
You have tried installing on a SATA drive rather than SSDs in a raid? (SSDs+raid=bad because of garbage collecting when I looked at it 6 months - a year ago... could be different by now)

You have put W7 on a jump drive with the Windows tool and tried to install from that?

Microsoft Store Online

It's strange that your computer is also going slow after the install. I would be leaning toward that hard drives here. I would unplug every HDD but one of the SATA drives. In fact, with everything you tried I would just put W7 on a jump drive, unplug everything but one stick of ram and one HDD and give that a shot.

After the HDD I would, like you, move to the MoBo. It most cases this would be extreme, but it would be my next move. Two weeks without PS2? Send back the mobo ;)

My W7 iso is fine. Already tested it in a virtual machine and it ran as it should.

The SSDs ARE SATA. They're plugged into the SATA III ports on the MoBo. The reason I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the drives themselves is because I disconnected ALL the drives from it before and the installer STILL took forever to progress and a Ubuntu live disk took forever to boot then froze at the desktop.

Same thing with the RAM. I tried different RAM, same result. Only thing I can think of is MoBo or the psu. How the psu would cause this behavior is beyond me and I really don't think it could cause this.

Have you tried another disk drive?

Reading the first post I thought it was the CD drive too, but he's tried installing from USB, and even after installing from CD Windows runs slow. That rules that out. If you have multiple HDDs with multiple cables that rules itself out if none of them work. I would agree with the mobo.

Yeah you might have a dying HDD. Sometimes if Windows gets errors in drives then it lowers the speed of the drive via its hardware management firmware. I had a drive go from UDMA-6 to PIO over the course of a few days. Needless to say its a paperweight today.

Yeah you might have a dying HDD. Sometimes if Windows gets errors in drives then it lowers the speed of the drive via its hardware management firmware. I had a drive go from UDMA-6 to PIO over the course of a few days. Needless to say its a paperweight today.

Then why would it do this when there are no drives connected at all?

Then why would it do this when there are no drives connected at all?

Sorry only read the first two pages. Strange problem indeed.

Did you maybe slipstream any specific storage drivers to your ISO when you were using the RAID setup? If so I would try rebuilding the ISO as a vanilla win 7 install.

Sorry only read the first two pages. Strange problem indeed.

Did you maybe slipstream any specific storage drivers to your ISO when you were using the RAID setup? If so I would try rebuilding the ISO as a vanilla win 7 install.

Nope. It's just a genero install.

Back
Top Bottom