Any Linux Recommendations?

Alright, thanks for the recommendation Seti. :) I will try it out after I get around to the other distros. (Hopefully by the end of this week)

Definitely Debian. Get the Wheezy (7.0) RC though. The bug list is down to 51 right now, so it should be quite stable. Squeeze (6.0) is probably the most stable distro I've ever used, but it's so extremely out of date, you'll have lots of dependency problems when trying to install newer applications. Also, make sure you do the DVD or netinstall, since the first CD no longer contains all the necessary packages. Last time I installed from the CD, most of the packages needed to make wireless networking work weren't there, so I ended up having to copy over something like 30 .deb files on a flash drive and install them manually.

Definitely Debian. Get the Wheezy (7.0) RC though. The bug list is down to 51 right now, so it should be quite stable. Squeeze (6.0) is probably the most stable distro I've ever used, but it's so extremely out of date, you'll have lots of dependency problems when trying to install newer applications. Also, make sure you do the DVD or netinstall, since the first CD no longer contains all the necessary packages. Last time I installed from the CD, most of the packages needed to make wireless networking work weren't there, so I ended up having to copy over something like 30 .deb files on a flash drive and install them manually.

Alright, thanks for the tip Foothead. I will make sure I note that when I get to downloading Debian. (Have to download it at school cause download speed is awful at home at 100kb/s)

Back
Top Bottom