External Hard Drive Fail

dcasey14

Beta member
Hey,
My hard drive seems to have failed, containing a lot of files i need.
When i plug it into my mac, it does not show up, yet when i go into disc utility i can see it there, when i try to mount it , it says it cant and to try and use disc repair which is unavailable because it wont let me click on it.

When i plugged it in to my windows pc it comes up as normal , local disc :c but when i try to access it , it says it needs to be formatted.

Is there any way to access my files on it ?

Thanks

Hey,
My hard drive seems to have failed, containing a lot of files i need.
When i plug it into my mac, it does not show up, yet when i go into disc utility i can see it there, when i try to mount it , it says it cant and to try and use disc repair which is unavailable because it wont let me click on it.

When i plugged it in to my windows pc it comes up as normal , local disc :c but when i try to access it , it says it needs to be formatted.

Is there any way to access my files on it ?

Thanks

When you plug it into you computer running back it will not show up the file manager because mac uses a different file system for larger drives to windows. FAT32 works on Windows and Mac has capacity limit of 4GB,
Windows' default NTFS is only readable on OS X, not writable, and Windows computers can't even read Mac-formatted HFS+ drives.
. Where was Windows can read all formats but cannot read drives larger than 4GB that have been formatted to work on Mac.

More info here Use the exFAT File System and Never Format Your External Drive Again, File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, File systems - Mac Guides and Comparison of file systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Assuming you had no problems with this on windows and mac before, I'm actually willing to be the problem isn't the drive, but the enclosure's USB/Firewire/watever controller. Assuming you don't care about any warranty that it might still be under (if the files are more important) You could open the enclosure and put the drive into the computer directly (via an internal SATA port) and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom