Need help to network

thomas18

Beta member
Hi,
i recently brought an apple mac but it doesnt have a cd drive. i am trying to install the mac office software and apparently i can put the cds in my toshiba laptop ( windows home premium) and it can install that way.

I have now idea what i am doing, and have doen some googling and am getting nowhere. Can someone give me some direction in normal english as to how to sort this.

thanks

I'm not sure if you can share the drive from the Toshiba to the mac.
Might want to see if the contents of the disc can be transferred to a large thumb drive and installed from that.

hi - thanks for the reply.Why would it not be able to be shared. Is it not just a file sharing thing you set up between two computers? I dont know much about this stuff.

I know what you want to do can be accomplished if both computers were running Windows or both running Mac OS. Sharing isn't the problem, that can be done as long as the 2 machines are networked, it's not clear to me that you could run a Mac install from a CD drive attached to a Windows machine.

Any chance you could buy/borrow an external CD/DVD drive? That would be the easiest and most assured way of getting the install done.

In order to help you more, we would need to know that you have the 2 machines networked or not. Are they both on a network and can see each other? If not, that's where you need to start.

Once the machines are networked, you need to share the CD drive. After that, the Mac should be able to read files form the CD. Even if the installer can't be run directly from the CD, you should be able to copy the installer to the Mac and invoke it from there.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for your reply and help so far. I am trying to install the Mac office software ( excel,word etc). I think the problem i am having is networking the machines.The mac can identify my toshiba computer, but then gives me a connection failed message? So i am not sure if theproblem is on the mac machine or the toshiba machine

Last edited:
You can share the drive over the network but it is a pain in the ass and quite slow. Your best bet would be to copy the CD to a flash drive and install it that way.

Copying the install files to a flash drive as OhSnapWord said would probably be the easiest way for you to do it.

Thanks all sorted guys. Didn't realise you could do it as simply as copying the files to a thumbdrive. Why doesn't apple just tell you that option on their support pages instead f**ing around with this networking bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom