What Else do I Need for my new computer

It's not better, but it does offer similar performance to the 3570K. Keep in mind that the FX-8350 will generate more heat.

Which ever way you go keep a few things in mind.

CPU's throw off a lot of heat. A good heat sink is nothing to scrimp on. Good HS can be had for relatively inexpensive costs.

Video cards eat trons for breakfast. No matter what card you get, a solid power supply will keep it and the rest of your system happy.

Air flow through a case is paramount. But there is an over kill in the amount of fans. A good case will have the PSU in the bottom for stabilization, plenty of well laid out room inside, and will have vibration damping of some sort. Bling bling will be up to the tastes of the owner. My P280 is rather bland but does its quiet thing nicely.

A good power supply is one that has plenty of amps with some to spare and a high efficiency rating. You do want some elbow room on the output for future expansion. Having to replace a power supply down the road because you got one that was too wimpy is not cost effective. Look for the amps on the 12volt rails and a 85+ efficiency rating.

Hard drives should be chosen for not only the amount of storage you need now but plenty of room for later. Look for a proven track record on a brand name. "cough western digital cough..."

Optical drives are inexpensive, but again get one with a good track record on a good brand name. I use LG.

Using an SSD will decrease boot up and OS response times but the cost per gig is till high. Also the technology is still rather young. Up to you.

Now something I can't stress enough. A good back up power supply. There's 2 major players in this game. APC and TrippLite. I've used both but prefer APC. Bang to the buck ratio is very high. Amazingly enough you can get them for a better price at office supply stores. DON"T use the software that comes with it. It's a serious resource hog and will bog down your system. Let it charge for a day before you plug anything in to it to give the batteries time to deep charge.

And one more thing. When you get it all put together and it's running like you want it to, BACKUP. BACKUP, BACKUP your system. There's nothing like that feeling you get when your baby throws a tantrum and the drive all your stuff is on goes BOOM, knowing it's all backed up and safe.

Back
Top Bottom